Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
At the end of the day they made the right call, but I agree, simply crazy if Anthony initiated it to the refs.
I don't agree and there were multiple unbiased people (and one Louisville blogger, Mark Ennis) who said it should have been UCs ball after seeing the last replay available after the second review.

There is no conspiracy to help UL. But it sucks to have such a poor process help decide a game, amongst the numerous other bad calls. Poor officiating is simply a part of the game these days. Refs don't have enough accountability unfortunately and sometimes it really shows in close games. Basketball is the most difficult sport to officiate, the officials at the NCAA level aren't good enough at their jobs, and UC was on the short end of the stick Saturday.

Of course their own play left a lot to be desired. If we shot better from 3 or didn't have the careless turnovers that led to layups, we wouldn't be talking about this either. But against a national title contender like Louisville, the margin for error is gonna be small.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
I was just thinking about this-the no technical on Rubles for calling a TO when we had no TOs is sort of makes up for this botched situation. But then I remembered, you cannot call a timeout while falling out of bounds anymore, even if we did have timeouts. Now I am angry again, haha!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I still haven't seen an angle that shows it definitely touched Shaq Thomas' foot/ankle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
I don't agree and there were multiple unbiased people (and one Louisville blogger, Mark Ennis) who said it should have been UCs ball after seeing the last replay available after the second review.

There is no conspiracy to help UL. But it sucks to have such a poor process help decide a game, amongst the numerous other bad calls. Poor officiating is simply a part of the game these days. Refs don't have enough accountability unfortunately and sometimes it really shows in close games. Basketball is the most difficult sport to officiate, the officials at the NCAA level aren't good enough at their jobs, and UC was on the short end of the stick Saturday.

Of course their own play left a lot to be desired. If we shot better from 3 or didn't have the careless turnovers that led to layups, we wouldn't be talking about this either. But against a national title contender like Louisville, the margin for error is gonna be small.
There was an angle shown from behind Shaq where it clearly showed the ball changing directions when it his off his foot. They even showed in on the big screen at the game. It was just one angle, and I can promise you that is the angle that the refs went back and looked at. If you disagree then you haven't seen that angle.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
It shouldn't have gotten to that point where it shows that angle is the issue I am seeing being called out in this thread.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
ccmbearcat

ccmbearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There was an angle shown from behind Shaq where it clearly showed the ball changing directions when it his off his foot. They even showed in on the big screen at the game. It was just one angle, and I can promise you that is the angle that the refs went back and looked at. If you disagree then you haven't seen that angle.
I saw it, but the ball was bouncing ever so slightly when it went by his foot. There is no way to determine that it hit his ankle. To be honest, I don't care what the call was. What bothers me is that UC was on a 13-1 run, Harrell was sucking wind big time and totally out of gas, and then you give Louisville seven minutes to regroup. You saw a different Harrell after that break.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Yeah I've seen that angle. It was available during the first review. The ball was bouncing and continued to bounce slightly. There is no evidence it changed directions because that angle came from the side so it was impossible to see the direction change. There was an angle from behind close to the uc bench that was much clearer on second review. Once it was shown I was convinced UC would get the ball (didn't think so originally) and my twitter feed of college basketball writers agreed.

For whatever reason the refs disagreed.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #17
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Shaquille should have dived out of the way!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:22 AM   #18
BDcats

BDcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
based on how the ball was skipping that direction change could have easily been due to spin on the ball. The whole thing was a cluster....and to take 7 minutes is just a joke. To change it then change it again. The guys should be taken off games asap. Its their job to run the game not let the game run them. That being said we lost the game since we didnt foal a 45% FT shooter TWICE and allowed 2 dunks. There is no way he makes 4-4 there which makes the Smith rainbow less relevant.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #19
jmp.ucfan

jmp.ucfan is on a distinguished road
Was thinking the same Greg Anthony overstepped there for sure the delay was bull$hit and I also would say what they showed didn't show 100% proof the ball hit shaqs ankle...Greg Anthony and his bromance with Louisville was also obvious all game any call the fans were unhappy about he was against us...I would like mick to ban Greg Anthony from any future uc games keep his stupid a$$ out...
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #20
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
Yeah I've seen that angle. It was available during the first review. The ball was bouncing and continued to bounce slightly. There is no evidence it changed directions because that angle came from the side so it was impossible to see the direction change. There was an angle from behind close to the uc bench that was much clearer on second review. Once it was shown I was convinced UC would get the ball (didn't think so originally) and my twitter feed of college basketball writers agreed.

For whatever reason the refs disagreed.
ha. Okay, your twitter feed agreed. Case closed. How about I just read an article where it said the refs made the right call? The ball was rolling through Shaq's leg and then magically turned directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDcats View Post
based on how the ball was skipping that direction change could have easily been due to spin on the ball. The whole thing was a cluster....and to take 7 minutes is just a joke. To change it then change it again. The guys should be taken off games asap. Its their job to run the game not let the game run them. That being said we lost the game since we didnt foal a 45% FT shooter TWICE and allowed 2 dunks. There is no way he makes 4-4 there which makes the Smith rainbow less relevant.
The ball was rolling and it had no spin on it. Seriously? The refs were atrocious (both ways) but to pretend that maybe it was the spin that caused it to change directions is laughable. Go back and watch the recorded game. It hits his leg. Still should not have been reviewed twice but the right call was originally made.

Agreed on your last two sentences.
Closed Thread