Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatMick View Post
All of our losses have been because of the refs. Its been horrendous this year
No they didn't. Shooting 30% or less did.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #22
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
And our turnover issue. Bad shooting and turnovers are our issues for losing. Like Cronin said, he feels like a broken record. You can blame the refs all you want but when you turn the ball over 20 times and give up "touchdowns" off our turnovers, its almost impossible to over come. Its crazy to think how poorly we played against UL and Uconn and we still had every chance in the world to win.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #23
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did you just respond to Bearcatmick? You know better my man.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #24
westsidecat
Banned

westsidecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatMick View Post
All of our losses have been because of the refs. Its been horrendous this year
Come on, man. You know the game better then that. You sound like a UK fan. I'm sure the 20 turnovers and 25% shooting didn't have anything to do with it.
westsidecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #25
Cataclysmo

Cataclysmo is on a distinguished road
When i was younger and i played sports, it seems that the one problem Refs had was arrogance. The worst refs always took a question to one of their calls as a personal insult and hence would refuse to even discuss it.

I think the biggest problem in basketball is essentially the same issue. When a coach like Mick criticizes a call, Teddy just took it way to personal. There needs to be more refs who say "Look, in the heat of the moment, i saw the call this way. I'm doing the best i can and im sorry if i made a mistake or you saw it differently."
Cataclysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #26
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Honestly wasnt really talking about today.... I hate watching random college games. It's wrong call after wrong call. The refs truly effect outcomes at the college level.

There needs to be a system in place to rate officials per there game.
Totally agree. College refs suck. But to be fair there are a crap ton of teams playing a crap ton of games every nights. Its got to be impossible to have enough good refs to go around.

Quote:
That didn't help, but like UCalum says below, if they didn't give away so many points off turnovers they would have won regardless of how they shot. And they still struggle to create open looks. How many layups or dunks has UC had in the last couple games? Not nearly enough. I like Caupain, but they need another PG badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
And our turnover issue. Bad shooting and turnovers are our issues for losing. Like Cronin said, he feels like a broken record. You can blame the refs all you want but when you turn the ball over 20 times and give up "touchdowns" off our turnovers, its almost impossible to over come. Its crazy to think how poorly we played against UL and Uconn and we still had every chance in the world to win.
Agreed. I mentioned weeks ago that the they were luck to wins some of their games with the way they were just giving the ball away and it's cost them the last two games. I don't blame SK, he simply doesn't have the PG skills, nor should he. UC needs to trust Caupain and recruit another PG for next year with their one remaining scholarship. Or at minimum a very good PG in 2015.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataclysmo View Post
When i was younger and i played sports, it seems that the one problem Refs had was arrogance. The worst refs always took a question to one of their calls as a personal insult and hence would refuse to even discuss it.

I think the biggest problem in basketball is essentially the same issue. When a coach like Mick criticizes a call, Teddy just took it way to personal. There needs to be more refs who say "Look, in the heat of the moment, i saw the call this way. I'm doing the best i can and im sorry if i made a mistake or you saw it differently."
Say what you want but Valentine had lot of restraint not calling a T, even if he got in Mick's face. And as much as I like Mick, the whole "where I'm from you don't get in somebody's face" is b.s. If I had a nickle for every time Mick got in someones face, including refs. It happened, it wasn't a big deal (I believe Mick also pointed this out).
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #28
Cataclysmo

Cataclysmo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Say what you want but Valentine had lot of restraint not calling a T, even if he got in Mick's face. And as much as I like Mick, the whole "where I'm from you don't get in somebody's face" is b.s. If I had a nickle for every time Mick got in someones face, including refs. It happened, it wasn't a big deal (I believe Mick also pointed this out).
Im not blaming one man or the other. I'm saying the problem is that two grown men can't have a conversation about what they thought the call should be. Its absurd how angry some people get over one man's opinion.
Cataclysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #29
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Looks like Dan Dakich isn't a big Ted Valentine fan, to say the least:http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...dn-t-punch-him
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #30
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Looks like Dan Dakich isn't a big Ted Valentine fan, to say the least:http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...dn-t-punch-him
Haha for the first time I like something Dakich says.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote