Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How far will UC make it in the NCAA Tournament?
Lose in the 1st round 7 12.07%
2nd round 11 18.97%
Sweet 16 20 34.48%
Elite 8 18 31.03%
Final 4 1 1.72%
National Championship Game 0 0%
National Champions 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #701
coverley

coverley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
The only people on earth scrutinizing Xavier's run this much are UC fans. It makes us look petty and jealous.
My name is Coverley, and when it comes to Xavier I am petty and jealous. I need a ten step program to heal.
coverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #702
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The only people on earth scrutinizing Xavier's run this much are UC fans. It makes us look petty and jealous.
I think people here are scrutinizing it so much about seed/luck because if you look at it objectively it means mack and the x program is better than u.c., so people here are looking for a reason to tear it down.

They put more effort and emphisis on their program, market it better, get higher recruits, and coach them better. We should be jealous.

We beat them once in the last four years...
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #703
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
I think people here are scrutinizing it so much about seed/luck because if you look at it objectively it means mack and the x program is better than u.c., so people here are looking for a reason to tear it down.

They put more effort and emphisis on their program, market it better, get higher recruits, and coach them better. We should be jealous.

We beat them once in the last four years...
Still never made a Final 4 though. And for those who put so much stock in the NCAA Tournament, that should mean something.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #704
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coverley View Post
My name is Coverley, and when it comes to Xavier I am petty and jealous. I need a ten step program to heal.
That's a big first step you just took...the healing can begin.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #705
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Guards Needed

IMO---to be really good and make a tournament run, you need to have really good guards. They have to be consistently good, be able to shoot, and control the game. Caupain and Johnson were good, but not consistently good, not consistently good shooters. Even at that, they will be hard to replace, but I will take the chance at this point. Also, at this stage of the game, I would say that X has the stronger program. Compare our recruits for next year with X, before you say I am wrong.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #706
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Still never made a Final 4 though. And for those who put so much stock in the NCAA Tournament, that should mean something.
Agree, but they have had way more recent success and they are trending upward, even with multiple coaching changes, as opposed to being stagnent.

It's a school that has 4500 undergrads as opposed to u.c. with 34000 undergrads, yet we have difficulty filling a compareable size arena. We graduate 8x more kids every year than them but we somehow have compareable if not worse fanbase.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #707
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
IMO---to be really good and make a tournament run, you need to have really good guards. They have to be consistently good, be able to shoot, and control the game. Caupain and Johnson were good, but not consistently good, not consistently good shooters. Even at that, they will be hard to replace, but I will take the chance at this point. Also, at this stage of the game, I would say that X has the stronger program. Compare our recruits for next year with X, before you say I am wrong.
X has had a better run than us over the past 10+ years. It'd be great to beat them again next year. It's a pretty easy argument to make that we had a better season this year. They salvaged a disaster, but still couldn't get to the Final 4.

It's funny bc last night they kind of had UC luck. A team draining every 3 and Mecura's full court heave got waived off. I got a kick out of that.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #708
crimedogg27

crimedogg27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Agree, but they have had way more recent success and they are trending upward, even with multiple coaching changes, as opposed to being stagnent.

It's a school that has 4500 undergrads as opposed to u.c. with 34000 undergrads, yet we have difficulty filling a compareable size arena. We graduate 8x more kids every year than them but we somehow have compareable if not worse fanbase.
UC needs to find a way to better engage the fanbase. You can argue that X has the most loyal fanbase in the city b/w college and pro teams. They simply always show up, I'm envious of that.
crimedogg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #709
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
X has had a better run than us over the past 10+ years. It'd be great to beat them again next year. It's a pretty easy argument to make that we had a better season this year. They salvaged a disaster, but still couldn't get to the Final 4.

It's funny bc last night they kind of had UC luck. A team draining every 3 and Mecura's full court heave got waived off. I got a kick out of that.
I give credit to X for their run. They had players get hot at the right time and O'Mara suddenly became reliable. Maryland and FSU - easy draw but they played really well and took care of business.

Having said that, they played the laziest zone all tourney, daring teams to beat them from outside. Maryland and FSU looked clueless. Arizona did a good job penetrating and kicking out, but they couldn't hit an open shot (and shot too many of them).

Gonzaga was shooting warmup jumpshots all game, either from simply swinging the ball around the perimeter, or working inside out. Out of Gonzaga's 12 threes, I think one or two were actually contested.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #710
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat18 View Post
I give credit to X for their run. They had players get hot at the right time and O'Mara suddenly became reliable. Maryland and FSU - easy draw but they played really well and took care of business.

Having said that, they played the laziest zone all tourney, daring teams to beat them from outside. Maryland and FSU looked clueless. Arizona did a good job penetrating and kicking out, but they couldn't hit an open shot (and shot too many of them).

Gonzaga was shooting warmup jumpshots all game, either from simply swinging the ball around the perimeter, or working inside out. Out of Gonzaga's 12 threes, I think one or two were actually contested.
Gonzaga has done very well in the transfer market. Iowa State was pretty much built on it over the past 10 years. I like that we've landed Washington and Broome and have gone that way some. This spring I would love to land a guy from a big school looking for a new opportunity.