Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
New Coach

Mods feel free to move this thread if needed. I just didn't feel like sifting through 50 plus pages in the Mick Cronin thread.

Who do we want?

Who do we not want?

Who do we have a realistic shot at hiring?

Names I keep seeing pop up on twitter:

John Brannen
Nick Van Exel
Thad Matta
Rick Pitino
Erik Martin
Darren Savino.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
Mods feel free to move this thread if needed. I just didn't feel like sifting through 50 plus pages in the Mick Cronin thread.

Who do we want?

Who do we not want?

Who do we have a realistic shot at hiring?

Names I keep seeing pop up on twitter:

John Brannen
Nick Van Exel
Thad Matta
Rick Pitino
Erik Martin
Darren Savino.
Nick Van Exel has real interest in the position and has NBA and G League coaching experience. I honestly think that's a home run hire. A guy who can relate to recruits and sell his college and NBA playing and coaching experience.

If he isn't the one, I would go with John Brannan.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Reposting from the Cronin thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
for the people that want Brannen they should really check out Casey Alexander. He would be the better candidate of the 2. Alexander pulled in multiple top 100 wins this year at Lipscomb, I dont think Brannen has any in the past 2 years at nku.
I agree. I'd prefer a mid-major coach with sustained success over a Van Exel type. Some others I would consider:
Russ Turner (UC Irvine)
Steve Forbes (E Tenn St)
Bob Richey (Furman)
John Becker (Vermont)
Scott Nagy (Wright St, previously S Dakota St)
Mark Schmidt (St Bonaventure)

The more I think about this, the more I like Scott Nagy. He had a great run at South Dakota St, bringing them up from D2 and making 3 NCAA tournaments in his last 5 years there. He has finished 1st or 2nd in his conference 7 of the last 8 years, the only exception being his first at Wright St.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
I'm so desperate I'm ready to sell my soul....Give me Pitino.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
I'm so desperate I'm ready to sell my soul....Give me Pitino.
Pitino, with all his warts, is the only home run hire available. While I'm doubtful he would come to UC, he would bring the program back to national prominence one way or another.
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
I think Van Exel would be a horrible hire. One of my all time favorite players, but he has no college experience. Has never recruited. Sure, he has ties as a player and NBA experience, but how much does that really matter? I would much rather they reach out to an up and coming coach in Division I basketball.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Reposting from the Cronin thread:

I agree. I'd prefer a mid-major coach with sustained success over a Van Exel type. Some others I would consider:
Russ Turner (UC Irvine)
Steve Forbes (E Tenn St)
Bob Richey (Furman)
John Becker (Vermont)
Scott Nagy (Wright St, previously S Dakota St)
Mark Schmidt (St Bonaventure)

The more I think about this, the more I like Scott Nagy. He had a great run at South Dakota St, bringing them up from D2 and making 3 NCAA tournaments in his last 5 years there. He has finished 1st or 2nd in his conference 7 of the last 8 years, the only exception being his first at Wright St.

I think the reason I kinda favor Alexander is because I'd just like to see a bit of a change of pace. I dont think a change in pace correlates in any way to more wins, but i think it can be more entertaining (and maybe easier to recruit guys to but thats pure speculation)

I like that Alexander has had 3 teams in the top 38 in eFG% in his 8 years, usually that means they run some pretty good offense.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Been doing some reading/digging over the past few weeks and then some more today. My current call list is:

1) Pitino
2) Pitino again....can;t we work something out?
3) Steve Forbes

Then considering Brannen, would at least speak with Van Exel and Erik Martin. Haven't dug too far in on current assistant coaches.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
BearcatsHoops

BearcatsHoops is on a distinguished road
Pat Kelsey (Winthrop) needs to be seriously considered for the job. Has done a great job at Winthrop and is born and raised Cincinnati, which means there is a good chance he would be here for the long haul. Assistant coaching experience with Xavier (interviewed him last year for HC) and Wake Forest. Tremendous passion, energy, and integrity. His energy would get/keep people excited about the program. He has also done a great job recruiting considering the limited resources/budget he has at Winthrop - new arena, strong program, local connections, etc would be a huge boost to his recruiting abilities for UC.
BearcatsHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsHoops View Post
Pat Kelsey (Winthrop) needs to be seriously considered for the job. Has done a great job at Winthrop and is born and raised Cincinnati, which means there is a good chance he would be here for the long haul. Assistant coaching experience with Xavier (interviewed him last year for HC) and Wake Forest. Tremendous passion, energy, and integrity. His energy would get/keep people excited about the program. He has also done a great job recruiting considering the limited resources/budget he has at Winthrop - new arena, strong program, local connections, etc would be a huge boost to his recruiting abilities for UC.
Why does local connection matter? See Cronin, Mick. Gonzo.

I forgot...I would also talk to Thad Matta.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote