Cin City is on a distinguished road
titus_pitino_getty_ringer.0.jpg
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #102
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
This is just so weird.

We don't do many basketball coaching searches at Cincinnati. And I'm not one bit impressed with the canidates so far.

NVE wins the press conference, but does he lose the games and tarnish his legacy?

If we're going to truly move forward, lets make a clean break from both the Huggins & Cronin era.

And yet, I don't see a single HR hire in this whole list.

I'm in a bit of a haze. Doesn't feel real at the moment. The chances that our new coach makes the tourney 9 years in a row and wins at the level Mick has won at, is going to be nearly impossible.

Who ever it is.. will be facing off against an new and improved AAC that has some damn good coaches. Realistic Chance we go from top of the league to middl e in the drop of a hat and that scares the shit out of me.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #103
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
I'll give up on the program if they do that. How is that any different than the Andy Kennedy interim that almost killed this program. Don't recruit for 2 years? Sounds like a plan, Jan.
agreed bud
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #104
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
This is just so weird.

We don't do many basketball coaching searches at Cincinnati. And I'm not one bit impressed with the canidates so far.

can you honestly say in your heart of hearts that when we hired mick his resume was far superior than many of the potential candidates we are looking at now?

the program is in a much better spot thanks to mick. the next hire won't have nearly as difficult of a job.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #105
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
The main reason I want NVE as the next head coach is, I'm fairly confident he will bring in a class of player that will be better than what Mick brought in. He is going to recruit at a high level. If the players are of higher talent it will be easier for him to coach. If it fails, at least you gave it a shot with a high profile former player who recruited well. If it works, you have vaulted the program to another level and made it way more interesting to casual fans.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #106
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
I'm not really sure where all the talk of NVE not having experience is coming from. He has been in the coaching realm for almost 10 years now, at the college and NBA level. We obviously don't know how good Penny Hardaway will be but he coached HS for 2 years and got the Memphis job.

Just based on reputation and 13 years of NBA playing experience he's probably going to have a better chance at getting better recruits.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #107
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
I'm not really sure where all the talk of NVE not having experience is coming from. He has been in the coaching realm for almost 10 years now, at the college and NBA level. We obviously don't know how good Penny Hardaway will be but he coached HS for 2 years and got the Memphis job.

Just based on reputation and 13 years of NBA playing experience he's probably going to have a better chance at getting better recruits.
I think you have to talk to NVE. You ask him for his plan for assistant coaches....you ask him a lot of questions surrounding recruiting. I'm not sold on him yet as currently I think I'd slot him below some longshots (Pitino, Matta) and below a highly regarded Mid-Major (my picks on these seem to be changing a lot, hour by hour, so no idea who I'd place at the top of that list yet).

But you speak to NVE and if he is able to blow you away, perhaps you take a shot. He better come prepared for that conversation though.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #108
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
can you honestly say in your heart of hearts that when we hired mick his resume was far superior than many of the potential candidates we are looking at now?

the program is in a much better spot thanks to mick. the next hire won't have nearly as difficult of a job.
I think it will be tough for a new coach moving into this level though.

The AAC could be a 4 bid league again next season and Cincinnati might not be one of those teams.

I know this.... If UC retains all its players And we still miss the tourney next season, I will be really upset.
And if UCLA makes the tourney in year 1 and we don't, it will hurt that much more.

As for Mick... It was a much easier hire, he had worked with Huggins & Pitino. He had graduated from here and had familiarity with the culture at Cincinnati.

These other guys are complete unknowns. if we make the wrong hire, this will set us back years. We have to be a top 4 team in the AAC every single year. If we're not, we are nothing in basketball.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #109
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
This is just so weird.

NVE wins the press conference, but does he lose the games and tarnish his legacy?

If we're going to truly move forward, lets make a clean break from both the Huggins & Cronin era.

And yet, I don't see a single HR hire in this whole list.

I'm in a bit of a haze. Doesn't feel real at the moment. The chances that our new coach makes the tourney 9 years in a row and wins at the level Mick has won at, is going to be nearly impossible.

Who ever it is.. will be facing off against an new and improved AAC that has some damn good coaches. Realistic Chance we go from top of the league to middl e in the drop of a hat and that scares the shit out of me.
I get your thinking. The unknown is always uncomfortable but to think Mick is the only person that can succeed at this job is insane. There are a lot of good coaches out there. Most of them no one has heard of or are "unproven". Let's give the administration and coach a chance before we start freaking out.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #110
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post

The problem is that you don't just walk up to a recruit and get him. Coaches have multiple year relationships with HS coaches and often with the players they recruit before that player even makes it to campus. They have whole networks that help them decide who to target and who help them build their case to the player. Penny only coached for a few years, but he had the networks and relationships well built, especially in the Memphis area.

NVE has none of that. He's been in the NBA for years and I doubt he knows many people in the AAU and HS level. He'd have to rely heavily on getting assistant coaches who are good recruiters. Having NBA experience isn't going to overcome that. Recruits don't come knocking just because you are a former NBA player. In the AAC, Johnny Dawkins at UCF played 9 seasons in the NBA and he's not recruiting the same caliper of players as Marshall and Sampson.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote