Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #21
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member
 
WAITE HOYT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,404
WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks For sharing.

WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #22
sedziobs
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 782
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Here's a selection of 2-Foul Participation rates from last season:

Syracuse 58%
Duke 42%
Kansas 29%
West Virginia 21%
D-1 Average 20%
Gonzaga 15%
Kentucky 10%
Cincinnati 8%
Michigan St 6%
Virginia 4%
Michigan 1%

So while coach K is successful keeping players with 2 fouls on the floor in the first half, there are also many very successful coaches who do the opposite.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #23
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,173
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Here's a selection of 2-Foul Participation rates from last season:

Syracuse 58%
Duke 42%
Kansas 29%
West Virginia 21%
D-1 Average 20%
Gonzaga 15%
Kentucky 10%
Cincinnati 8%
Michigan St 6%
Virginia 4%
Michigan 1%

So while coach K is successful keeping players with 2 fouls on the floor in the first half, there are also many very successful coaches who do the opposite.

welcome back, first posts of this season?
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #24
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member
 
WAITE HOYT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,404
WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
welcome back, first posts of this season?
I'll second this welcome back.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #25
sedziobs
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 782
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
welcome back, first posts of this season?
Thanks. Yeah, first posts but I've been here reading most days. I just don't have much to contribute to debates about lineup decisions or style of play. I have my opinions, but we're all operating on what we see on TV, which isn't quite enough information to form concrete conclusions. I prefer to analyze things where we have some data to provide clarity. I do enjoy reading all of the banter though. I'll probably become a lot more active midway through the season when bracketology starts to become meaningful.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,398
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Cumberland could avoid a lot of his fouls by reducing off ball fouls and reducing his charges by staying under control when he goes to the rack.

I think the plan with him has to be more proactive than reactive. If he gets one dumb off ball foul and one out of control charge...you have lost half the battle.

He could probably go a whole season without trouble if those two areas were addressed sufficiently.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #27
sedziobs
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 782
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Coincidentally, Arkansas Pine Bluff has a 100% 2-foul participation this year. That means their starters haven't seen the bench at all with two fouls in the first half.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,398
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Thanks. Yeah, first posts but I've been here reading most days. I just don't have much to contribute to debates about lineup decisions or style of play. I have my opinions, but we're all operating on what we see on TV, which isn't quite enough information to form concrete conclusions. I prefer to analyze things where we have some data to provide clarity. I do enjoy reading all of the banter though. I'll probably become a lot more active midway through the season when bracketology starts to become meaningful.
I always enjoy a good objective stat/data breakdown. Keep it coming. I would agree much of the subjective fan opinion does not always include all of the necessary information (mine included). It's a fan board though so it's going to come with the territory.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #29
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,173
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Thanks. Yeah, first posts but I've been here reading most days. I just don't have much to contribute to debates about lineup decisions or style of play. I have my opinions, but we're all operating on what we see on TV, which isn't quite enough information to form concrete conclusions. I prefer to analyze things where we have some data to provide clarity. I do enjoy reading all of the banter though. I'll probably become a lot more active midway through the season when bracketology starts to become meaningful.

you'll probably have fun with NET. i guess we'll get to see if its any better than RPI was.


ive read a few things about it i dont like, capping wins at 10 points, and the quality of your opponent doesn't matter for the stats you put up (holding duke to .98 ppp is the same as holding arkansas-pine bluff to .98ppp) but im not sure if thats actually true or people misinterpreting the data.


if it is true, it is probably a big benefit to us considering our schedule. rpi sucked but was actually great for us last year.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #30
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,173
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
you'll probably have fun with NET. i guess we'll get to see if its any better than RPI was.


ive read a few things about it i dont like, capping wins at 10 points, and the quality of your opponent doesn't matter for the stats you put up (holding duke to .98 ppp is the same as holding arkansas-pine bluff to .98ppp) but im not sure if thats actually true or people misinterpreting the data.


if it is true, it is probably a big benefit to us considering our schedule. rpi sucked but was actually great for us last year.


after reading what adam silver wrote earlier today i think what i said is correct. of the 5 components used for your ranking only 1 of them factors in strength of opponent. this should really help us this year.


he doesn't seem to think NET will self correct much from early rankings the way RPI would (at least the final RPI rankings were vastly different than the early ones)
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.