Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #1781
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Now that there is a rankings thread not sure where to put this since it pertains to both lol. Seton hall went down yesterday big time (only team ahead of us in coaches that isn't in AP) so we will jump them, Xavier got crushed, in sure we will be passing them. Texas tech lost by ten on the road yesterday to #9 Oklahoma, unless a couple other teams lose I don't really see us passing them but who knows. Right now I see us moving up 1 n 2 spots in each poll respectively. Texas tech has another tough game against WVU this weekend, they drop that one it's an obvious move up for us. And I see at most 2-3 other opportunities but that's pushing it. Final guess bearcats end up 11th in polls this week, and after next we finally crack the top ten.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #1782
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Now that there is a rankings thread not sure where to put this since it pertains to both lol. Seton hall went down yesterday big time (only team ahead of us in coaches that isn't in AP) so we will jump them, Xavier got crushed, in sure we will be passing them. Texas tech lost by ten on the road yesterday to #9 Oklahoma, unless a couple other teams lose I don't really see us passing them but who knows. Right now I see us moving up 1 n 2 spots in each poll respectively. Texas tech has another tough game against WVU this weekend, they drop that one it's an obvious move up for us. And I see at most 2-3 other opportunities but that's pushing it. Final guess bearcats end up 11th in polls this week, and after next we finally crack the top ten.
If Xavier can win at home on Saturday, they will likely stay right ahead of us.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #1783
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
It took overtime for Michigan St. at home to beat Rutgers by 4.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #1784
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Our RPI is irrelevant. It's our opponents' RPIs that matter, more specifically what group they fall into. I think it's definitely worth keeping track of now.
Many of those RPI numbers are going to change dramatically by season's end. I think when looking at them we have to take Kenpom into consideration at the same time until at least Feb...maybe mid Feb.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #1785
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Many of those RPI numbers are going to change dramatically by season's end. I think when looking at them we have to take Kenpom into consideration at the same time until at least Feb...maybe mid Feb.
I agree. That's why I think Temple's win last night might be good for us. Even though their RPI is 36 now, they will likely end up as a borderline top 75 team. And SMU is at 90 now, but they will also likely end up top 75. So Temple's win looks bad now, but by the end of the year might give us an additional Group 1 win. We can look to Kenpom to try to predict what RPI will be at the end of the year, but in the end I think RPI groups are the most important metric. Considering both together is a lot different than just discarding RPI as trash.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #1786
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
You look at these losses across college basketball and I think that's spot on why Cronin says don't take winning for granted. Yeah we lose the big games sometimes but we really don't lose games we aren't supposed to lose knock on wood. At lease last year and so far this year.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #1787
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I agree. That's why I think Temple's win last night might be good for us. Even though their RPI is 36 now, they will likely end up as a borderline top 75 team. And SMU is at 90 now, but they will also likely end up top 75. So Temple's win looks bad now, but by the end of the year might give us an additional Group 1 win. We can look to Kenpom to try to predict what RPI will be at the end of the year, but in the end I think RPI groups are the most important metric. Considering both together is a lot different than just discarding RPI as trash.
I don't think RPI is "trash" at the end of the year. It's still a little outdated but generally okay in the end. I just think it's trash right now compared to Kenpom.

I agree with you on column 1 and 2 wins. You take our end of season RPI to get a first idea of a seed. Then you consider column 1 wins and losses followed by column 2. From there you have a very good idea of seeding. 80-90 % of the work is done. Then you can use SOS, bad losses, the other two columns, etc to fine tune the seed. Do we move them up or down a seed line.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #1788
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
You look at these losses across college basketball and I think that's spot on why Cronin says don't take winning for granted. Yeah we lose the big games sometimes but we really don't lose games we aren't supposed to lose knock on wood. At lease last year and so far this year.
I would agree Cronin has done a GREAT job of not slipping up with a bad loss as well not losing at home. I mean we do have the nation's longest home win streak and we aren't even playing at home this year. Kudos Mick!!!

We should be favored in every game but 1 from here on out. I would expect to lose on senior night at WSU. I am going to start with a 3 loss minimum. Outside of that...in a few other away games we will probably be only favored by a few points as well as our home game against WSU. Anything under a 5 point spread can change with hot and cold shooting.

I think we have to expect at least 1 slip up given we have played a couple of poor games already. If we can hold at home...I like our chances at staying at 4 losses or less. But this still means we get only one slip up on the road outside of WSU (not saying we can't win that one either). That is not an easy task to say the least. You have to have the team ready night in and night out. We have seen other teams slip up in college BB so far. We can't afford too many more nights like FLA and Temple. We will get beat somewhere if we do.

Seeing Cane on the floor more will calm my nerves a bit. It really will. We are a different team when he's on the floor.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #1789
GarradJ21
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would agree Cronin has done a GREAT job of not slipping up with a bad loss as well not losing at home. I mean we do have the nation's longest home win streak and we aren't even playing at home this year. Kudos Mick!!!

We should be favored in every game but 1 from here on out. I would expect to lose on senior night at WSU. I am going to start with a 3 loss minimum. Outside of that...in a few other away games we will probably be only favored by a few points as well as our home game against WSU. Anything under a 5 point spread can change with hot and cold shooting.

I think we have to expect at least 1 slip up given we have played a couple of poor games already. If we can hold at home...I like our chances at staying at 4 losses or less. But this still means we get only one slip up on the road outside of WSU (not saying we can't win that one either). That is not an easy task to say the least. You have to have the team ready night in and night out. We have seen other teams slip up in college BB so far. We can't afford too many more nights like FLA and Temple. We will get beat somewhere if we do.

Seeing Cane on the floor more will calm my nerves a bit. It really will. We are a different team when he's on the floor.
I 100% agree with everything you said. I go into every game expecting to win and have all the confidence in the world that we can win, but sometimes you have take a netural approach and realize yes, we can lose a game at WSU and maybe drop another one somewhere along the line. I also fully agree that Cane basically takes us to a different level.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #1790
GarradJ21
Epic Member

I don't know if we should start a bracketology thread yet or what but Lunardi updates his bracket it looks like every Thursday morning. We are currently a 4 seed. We moved from last week's 5 seed. Is CBS going to do that thing like they did last Feb as a pre bracket show? If we continue to win, we will have to a top 4 seed this time.