Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #11
Bcatfollower
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,113
Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Seems like Saunders gets a little ball hog sometimes. Like you can definitely tell when he is gonna force something.

Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:25 PM   #12
skyblade
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,540
skyblade is on a distinguished road
Offense has gone dead silent in the 2nd half. 6 points in over 8 minutes. Just not moving the ball well or getting good shot selection.

ECU meanwhile is getting good shots.

Seems like we thought it was over at half time and ECU came out to keep playing.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:29 PM   #13
skyblade
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,540
skyblade is on a distinguished road
Davenport has taken so many bad threes this half. He made the one that was actually a good shot.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:49 PM   #14
Lawrugby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 417
Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Per T Nell we are not very good when Dejulius is off.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:03 PM   #15
Queens_NYC
Elite Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,275
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Very sloppy 2nd half. Luckily we got our act together over the final 3 minutes and the outcome was never in doubt.

Surprised that we didn't see much of Madsen in the 2nd half.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:34 PM   #16
sedziobs
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,831
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
We did a great job guarding Newton tonight. It was a team effort, with DDJ, MAW, and Newman each getting a lot of possessions assigned to him. We held him to 4-11 shooting with 4 assists and 4 turnovers. Jackson was hitting everything inside and out though. Overall a good defensive game.

The offense as usual was up and down depending on jump shots. In the first half I thought we did a good job attacking the basket which created open looks from outside too. We even ran some action looking to get bigs the ball down low. DDJ, MAW, and Saunders combined for 15 assists and 1 turnover. In the second half we reverted to hero ball with poor shot selection. We ended up 13-21 at the rim, which is just ok against an undersized interior.

I was happy to see some flashes of offensive schemes. It shows we have the potential to be a decent offense if we focus on it.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #17
skyblade
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,540
skyblade is on a distinguished road
Ody has been really starting to look solid down low. Koval had a couple of nice cuts to get open down low as well, playing him in a 5 out scheme might be possible. The first half offense looked excellent. Our offense is starting show extended periods of good play.

But in the second half, we just stopped all that and started playing hero ball. Davenport set the tone by taking a series of bad threes and it went downhill from there. The defense was also fairly bad in the second half. Hopefully this game helps teach the guys that we have to play a full game.

Plenty for Wes Miller to teach, but we got a win.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #18
skyblade
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,540
skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Very sloppy 2nd half. Luckily we got our act together over the final 3 minutes and the outcome was never in doubt.

Surprised that we didn't see much of Madsen in the 2nd half.
It seems like Miller really tightens the rotations in the second half. First half he subs like crazy, second half he likes to keep the starters on as much as possible, though the end of game offense/defense with Koval/Ado was a bit of a new wrinkle.

Part of why Madsen got such a long run is Newman racking up two quick fouls, in the second half Newman stayed out of foul trouble and barely came out.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,086
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Ody has been really starting to look solid down low. Koval had a couple of nice cuts to get open down low as well, playing him in a 5 out scheme might be possible. The first half offense looked excellent. Our offense is starting show extended periods of good play.

But in the second half, we just stopped all that and started playing hero ball. Davenport set the tone by taking a series of bad threes and it went downhill from there. The defense was also fairly bad in the second half. Hopefully this game helps teach the guys that we have to play a full game.

Plenty for Wes Miller to teach, but we got a win.
Ody could really be a great option for us. He knows how to get his shot off down low and usually it's in or rattles around. He's mobile enough to be out on perimeter on D. He rebounds well. He can jump out the gym for a big.

He also fouls a lot. And I haven't watched closely enough to see how often he is out of place...but I would like to see him get more time. He and Vik can get the ball in the bucket down low...but Vik gets stripped a lot and Ody does not. His plus minus is the best of the bigs. Wes just needs to slow him down a bit and teach him how to play D without fouling.

He's a good candidate for a breakout player next year. Hopefully Wes can work out the bugs this year. He's fun to watch and easy to root for with his energy.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,086
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
We did a great job guarding Newton tonight. It was a team effort, with DDJ, MAW, and Newman each getting a lot of possessions assigned to him. We held him to 4-11 shooting with 4 assists and 4 turnovers. Jackson was hitting everything inside and out though. Overall a good defensive game.

The offense as usual was up and down depending on jump shots. In the first half I thought we did a good job attacking the basket which created open looks from outside too. We even ran some action looking to get bigs the ball down low. DDJ, MAW, and Saunders combined for 15 assists and 1 turnover. In the second half we reverted to hero ball with poor shot selection. We ended up 13-21 at the rim, which is just ok against an undersized interior.

I was happy to see some flashes of offensive schemes. It shows we have the potential to be a decent offense if we focus on it.
Our 17 assists came from just 4 players. Mike has been 18-4 in his last 3 games. For a 4.25 to 1 ratio. MAW has been great all year leading the nation by a decent margin right now over Tyger Campbell almost by 1 full point.

MAW has really been coming on strong. Making shots and keeping his TO's to a minimum while dishing out dimes. He's really turned it around after a cold streak and I hope that continues as it's been key to our recent success.

Newman has been rock solid as well for the most part. MAW and Newman getting a few points while playing some great D allows us to put our best lineup out there without limiting scoring too much. Those two guys lead the starters in plus minus by a significant margin. They are the best two way players if they can continue to get us 10-12 points (or more) a night as they have been recently (past few games).
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.