Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-23-2021, 10:58 PM   #21
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I do think we showed how good we are. JD was bad and Victor was a huge negative. Sucks to lose the way we did, but we have some talent
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:15 PM   #22
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
I still can't believe a major division 1 coach actually runs a version of double teaming the pg right at the half court line to just get into scramble mode on defense and play 5-4. Definitely had flash backs to Nevada seeing that gimmick, and at least saunders/ddj attacked it in ways that we never did vs Nevada.

Super pumped for this team. Really got hosed throughout on calls/no calls which I do think impacted the rebounding gap and made it worse than it really was. I think what always sets me off is when a guy would get fouled 3 separate times before getting knocked over and then they finally call it.

MAW needs to figure it out or take a massive cut in minutes.

Davenport had what was probably his worst game in two years, but I expect him to be fine. A lot of that was a product of the matchup and him struggling to rebound/getting pushed around/and hate to say it, but just flat out out-athleted, which he usually finds a way to overcome.

My expectations for this team were never high. They've already exceeded them and most importantly they're a fun team to watch with things to look forward to. I'm not ready to start putting huge expectations on them as far as results, but this has to be in the top 1% of likely outcomes for the first 6 games. I'll take it.

Hubert Davis- please figure it out immediately
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:20 PM   #23
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Maybe I was more optimistic than most here, but this team is so far everything that it looked to be on paper. Great interior defense. Quality depth. Poor rebounding. Only a couple players who can create their own shot. Midrange heavy offense. Those were all known characteristics based on the coach and players we brought in.

It's a team that can compete with anyone if our guards are hitting shots and our shot selection isn't completely awful. It's also a team that can lose ugly to good or bad teams if the offense isn't working. In our conference it should mean competing for a top 3 finish, and every game should be intense and exciting.

I was pounding the table in the offseason that we needed a couple proven rebounders, and tonight showed why. Rebounding consistently takes more than size, athleticism, and hustle. It takes some skill and instinct, and our guys are lacking in those areas. We'll need to compensate for that against good teams. Holding opponents under 20% from three like we did these two games will do it.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:22 PM   #24
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Moving forward it would be nice if we could clean up some of those really bad offensive possessions where 1 guy just decides to go 1 on 5 for no reason at all.

The way we play defense, we’re gonna be tough to beat if we take out all those wasted possessions.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:34 PM   #25
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Moving forward it would be nice if we could clean up some of those really bad offensive possessions where 1 guy just decides to go 1 on 5 for no reason at all.

The way we play defense, we’re gonna be tough to beat if we take out all those wasted possessions.
We probably have to get used to that. It's what Wes Miller teams have always done. The hallmark of a midrange heavy iso offense is a low free throw rate. Wes has never cracked the top 200. We knew we were getting aggressive defense and 1990s offense. I'm hoping Saunders can break out of that though. He seems determined to get to the rim whenever possible, and done a great job of limiting turnovers so far this year when the opportunity isn't there.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:44 AM   #26
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Ody need more minutes.

Loved Big 3 line up with Koval,Vik,Hensley.

Mason needs play with Saunders and not Newman.

JD is strictly a 3, We lost it when we moved
him to 4

Lol, the football team has put target on our back with refs.

We win if Mason and Ado played down stretch.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #27
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Great Ball Game last night, even better if we would have gotten the win.

The season is young and I like what I see, and hopefully team and individual improvements will increase as the season goes on.

Davenport and Madsen need to study some Sean Kilpatrick game film, in regard to how hard Kilpatrick worked to get open and get his shot. Kilpatrick wasn't the most athletic, but his relentless effort to get open translated to success.

Teams know all they have to do is guard Davenport and Madsen tight, and they just become bodies out there. I think they both can do it, but the work has to be put in.

All in all, I'm pleased so far, and as a fan that's all I can ask.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Short on play makers down the stretch. Some atypical bad performances by 2-3 players. Refs were a little off. And we still damn near won the game.

Wes will figure it out. Tons of good teaching moments on tape. The kids will eat it all up...they mostly seem like they love to learn and absorb advice. We have a team full of competitors. They will take this one hard but the rebound will be fun to see.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #29
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
We probably have to get used to that. It's what Wes Miller teams have always done. The hallmark of a midrange heavy iso offense is a low free throw rate. Wes has never cracked the top 200. We knew we were getting aggressive defense and 1990s offense. I'm hoping Saunders can break out of that though. He seems determined to get to the rim whenever possible, and done a great job of limiting turnovers so far this year when the opportunity isn't there.

I understand there are going to be a lot of them unfortunately, but I really could do without the ones with 24 seconds left on the shot clock and we've made 0 or 1 pass. Our guys aren't even set up to offensive rebound on those.

I've accepted I'm going to have to get used to a lot more 5-19 from the midrange games.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #30
cincrulz11
Epic Member

If you just look at this years games without any preseason influence, we are 34 on Barttorvik. 104 offense, 24 defense.