Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
CJ Anthony looks like he can play.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some real minutes in a year or two.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #12
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some real minutes in a year or two.
Not related to CJ Anthony, but can someone explain the "hype" around AJ McGinnis? I've read lots of places that he's going to be a great player for UC, that we need him this year, he's the SG of the future, etc. I'm not saying those aren't true, but I just can't figure out where it's coming from. Was he a big time recruit that just happen to commit and play at UNCG? His numbers weren't special last year at a smaller school, and to my knowledge wasn't a 4* recruit or anything. I haven't seen much of him this year to judge so just can't figure it out.

Wasn't able to watch the game but looks like he got some decent PT tonight.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:02 AM   #13
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Solid defensive effort. Limited them to tough shots all night.

We won the rebounding margin handily (+15) but there still seemed to be some stretches where we could've done better on the defensive glass.

Would've been nice to have more players hit an offensive rhythm other than Davenport.

The free throw shooting was a positive, I guess.

Still didn't see a lot from our offensive sets that gave me confidence about our scoring against better teams.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:08 AM   #14
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Not related to CJ Anthony, but can someone explain the "hype" around AJ McGinnis? I've read lots of places that he's going to be a great player for UC, that we need him this year, he's the SG of the future, etc. I'm not saying those aren't true, but I just can't figure out where it's coming from. Was he a big time recruit that just happen to commit and play at UNCG? His numbers weren't special last year at a smaller school, and to my knowledge wasn't a 4* recruit or anything. I haven't seen much of him this year to judge so just can't figure it out.

He has a quick trigger/smooth stroke/confident shot.

He took the 3rd most shots last night (7) despite playing the 9th most minutes (12).

He made a lay-up off an in bounds play, a deep 2 in the corner where his toe was on the 3-point line, and a quick trigger 3 with a man in his face late in the game.

So far he reminds me of Madsen but with less playmaking ability inside the arch.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:50 AM   #15
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:

It's sort of like asking why a man lost in the desert is so hyped for water.

It's not so much that McGinnis has been great (with his limited minutes it's hard to get too much of a read on him). It's that we are desperate for a knock down three point shooter. McGinnis looks like he could be that guy and also looks like he can play defense. Will he be a star? Who knows. But he's the guard most likely to develop into a true threat 3-and-D type player.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #16
skyblade
Epic Member

Our defensive rebounding technique still wasn't good in my book. We managed to do fairly well by simply being the much bigger team (though we still gave up an almost 30% offensive rebound percentage). I do think I've been a bit harsh on Ody for his poor defensive rebounding. That's not to say he doesn't suck at it, just that almost everyone else does too, so I probably shouldn't single him out so much.

The proper rebounding technique is when the ball goes up, you find a man, put your body on him, then look for the ball. Almost all of our guys ball watch, often go to the basket and try to outjump guys for the ball and make little to no effort to box out their man. It's like they hope if they turn around and face the basket their man will run into them instead of going around them. You could call it hero ball rebounding, rather than boxing out as a team to keep the other team away from the basket (and getting the ball), we all just try to outjump everyone else.

The only player I saw fairly consistently showing good technique when it comes to rebounding was Koval. He did well this game, but normally runs into the problem that he's so thin it doesn't matter as he just gets pushed around. Lakhin tends to get by on size, athleticism and great hands, same with Ado (minus the great hands) and Ody (minus the size). I'm sure they've all been taught, Miller needs to find a way to get them to actually do it.

The guards aren't much (if any) better.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think the hype (if we can call it that) was coming from UNCG where many of their fans etc thought he would possibly be their leading scorer as a soph. He played a decent amount of minutes as a frosh. More than Hensley.

In this case I think the Hype should be Hope. There had to be a good reason he was the last guy off the bench before Martin and Anthony early on. He got his shot with Mason out. If nothing else he can hit threes we can use him.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #18
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
This line up could be really interesting

Saunders
McGinnis
Madsen/Hensley
JD
Vik
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote