Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #51
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The thing with Ado is even if he gets the ball wide open under the basket, there's a 50/50 he will take so long handling the pass and getting the ball up that the other team will have time to recover and block his shot. WSU pretty much ignored him when they were on defense, except right around the rim.

But when Ado plays well, which happens some times, he is our best big. He has dominated on the offensive boards in a number games and played excellent defense. The problem is, he is so inconsistent (there are rumors of a lingering wrist/hand injury that may account for this). He's almost a guy you give 10 minutes in the first half and then sit him for the entire second half if he isn't playing well.

Koval/Ody are situational as well. They both struggle against bigs with size, especially Ody (who really struggles everywhere on defense). Koval is excellent against more mobile big men.

It comes down where do you want to be weak? Offense or defense? Miller generally prefers to be weak on offense. There really isn't a correct answer, but as long as Miller prefers guys who play defense over guys who play offense, Ody's minutes probably aren't going to increase and Ado's aren't going to decrease much. Koval might be earning more minutes though as he can excel on both ends in the right situation.

If you watched the post-game, Miller said at the end of the WSU game they talked about going offense/defense with Koval/Ado (same as they did against ECU), but he decided that Koval was their best option on both offense and defense against WSU's offense (they were running a lot of high ball screens, which Koval covers better than Ado).
My answer would be focus on what helps the plus minus numbers (in general). Why focus on D if it's costing you to go in the minus if we are in the plus by putting the offensive guy in the game?

Now that is a more of a theoretical question as plus minus is limited in what it can tell you. But over time (many games) I start to like it more and more. Short stretches it doesn't mean much.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #52
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Fair. I get frustration. They are kids. That’s the simplicity and complexity of it.
Young men, not kids. He is just a selfish player, you can see when he brings the ball up he is going to force it as opposed to pass, he has to get his shot. Kind of like DDJ except he doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive ability. If he accepted his role I think he could be serviceable. If we land this 5 star pg from GA or 4 star from Dayton he will be a career backup.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #53
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Young men, not kids. He is just a selfish player, you can see when he brings the ball up he is going to force it as opposed to pass, he has to get his shot. Kind of like DDJ except he doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive ability. If he accepted his role I think he could be serviceable. If we land this 5 star pg from GA or 4 star from Dayton he will be a career backup.
I am not going to speculate on Mike's future right now but I will say he is leading in assists per 40 minutes of action.

It's his job to try to use his main weapon and the coaches job to ensure that he tries. He get's stuck at times going to the rim but that is part of the assignment of beating guys to the rack. It's harder for him to stop that full speed blast than others who go in more controlled (slower).

He will learn how and when to pull up etc over time. I am not betting on Mike to fail with all the hard work he has put in. His shot has improved leaps and bounds.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #54
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
WSU is garbage. 9-7 and 0-4 in the conference. We should have trounced them not barely beat them. Win is a win but i wouldn’t say this is a great win.
This is kind of a lazy take. The spread was with WSU. You should have made thousands of dollars (in bets) if you thought we should have torched them at home.

Memphis is also 9-7 but I have heard excuses that they are just too talented for us to beat them with our players. And then they lost their next two games. Those were also lazy takes.

I will take any road win. But being down double digits and fighting back on the road is absolutely a great win IMO.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:01 PM   #55
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This is kind of a lazy take. The spread was with WSU. You should have made thousands of dollars (in bets) if you thought we should have torched them at home.

Memphis is also 9-7 but I have heard excuses that they are just too talented for us to beat them with our players. And then they lost their next two games. Those were also lazy takes.

I will take any road win. But being down double digits and fighting back on the road is absolutely a great win IMO.
If you want to use being on the road making it tough against a bad team that’s up to you. They lost their first 4 aac games. We were also down double digits to Tulane at home… and fought back and still lost. What the excuse for that?

People just look for every excuse to justify the bad.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:08 PM   #56
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
I am not going to speculate on Mike's future right now but I will say he is leading in assists per 40 minutes of action.

It's his job to try to use his main weapon and the coaches job to ensure that he tries. He get's stuck at times going to the rim but that is part of the assignment of beating guys to the rack. It's harder for him to stop that full speed blast than others who go in more controlled (slower).

He will learn how and when to pull up etc over time. I am not betting on Mike to fail with all the hard work he has put in. His shot has improved leaps and bounds.
His improved shot is still not very good. But you’re right, anything is possible.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:47 PM   #57
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
His improved shot is still not very good. But you’re right, anything is possible.
What about his selfishness leading team in assists per 40?
Old 01-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #58
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you want to use being on the road making it tough against a bad team that’s up to you. They lost their first 4 aac games. We were also down double digits to Tulane at home… and fought back and still lost. What the excuse for that?

People just look for every excuse to justify the bad.
A road game against Wichita St isn't considered bad by the selection committee, which is all that really matters. Tulane and Monmouth are. But we also have a Q1-A win.

We're doing about as well as you'd expect a 60th ranked team to do. Some good wins, a couple bad losses. There's no reason to go looking for "excuses". Every team has bad games.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:47 PM   #59
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
What about his selfishness leading team in assists per 40?
Well he is a pg… if the ball is on your hands The majority of the time when you’re in I would expect you to have more assists than non pg. Can’t deny he forces way to many. He wasted 4-5 possessions in the wsu game. How does he rank against other pg nationally for assists per 40?
Old 01-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #60
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How does he rank against other pg nationally for assists per 40?
He's #124 in the country in assist rate among players who average 20+ minutes per game. He also has the highest assist rate on our team.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote