Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Huggins Deserves Plaudits

Huggins has a unique coaching style. He has developed a reputation as a yeller and a screamer, a younger Bobby Knight if you will. While that isn't necessarily false -- I don't know if there are five people in this profession better at berating an official or a player -- Huggins is actually very calm on the sideline 90 percent of the time.

"I just stand over there," Huggins said. "I can't sit, so I stand. If I could sit I would probably sit."

That said, there may not be a more demanding coach in the country than Huggins. Simply put, he expects the best from each and every one of his players.

And whether it is great coaching, an ability to motivate, or intimidation -- is it possible he scares his players into playing their best to avoid a screaming session? -- Huggins always seems to get the most out of the guys that come through his program.

I mean, this isn't exactly a team chock full of all-americans and lottery picks. West Virginia just won the toughest conference tournament in the country, and they did it with just one five-star (Devin Ebanks) and one four-star (Kevin Jones) recruit. Butler and Wellington Smith were three-star recruits, as was Truck Bryant. Joe Mazzulla and Cam Thoroughman were two-star recruits.

http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/ar...4/2227652.aspx
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
Huggins has a unique coaching style. He has developed a reputation as a yeller and a screamer, a younger Bobby Knight if you will. While that isn't necessarily false -- I don't know if there are five people in this profession better at berating an official or a player -- Huggins is actually very calm on the sideline 90 percent of the time.

"I just stand over there," Huggins said. "I can't sit, so I stand. If I could sit I would probably sit."

That said, there may not be a more demanding coach in the country than Huggins. Simply put, he expects the best from each and every one of his players.

And whether it is great coaching, an ability to motivate, or intimidation -- is it possible he scares his players into playing their best to avoid a screaming session? -- Huggins always seems to get the most out of the guys that come through his program.

I mean, this isn't exactly a team chock full of all-americans and lottery picks. West Virginia just won the toughest conference tournament in the country, and they did it with just one five-star (Devin Ebanks) and one four-star (Kevin Jones) recruit. Butler and Wellington Smith were three-star recruits, as was Truck Bryant. Joe Mazzulla and Cam Thoroughman were two-star recruits.

http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/ar...4/2227652.aspx
It was John Belien who recruitied D'Sean Butler, Wellington Smith, Joe Mazzulzo to WVU, not Huggins. He merely got the benefit from Belien's recruiting. Without Butler and Smith WVU is 20-13 and on the bubble. Wait till next year when he has to play with guys he recruited. Ebanks will probably declare for the NBA, WVU will be middle of the Big East pack next year.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
It was John Belien who recruitied D'Sean Butler, Wellington Smith, Joe Mazzulzo to WVU, not Huggins. He merely got the benefit from Belien's recruiting. Without Butler and Smith WVU is 20-13 and on the bubble. Wait till next year when he has to play with guys he recruited. Ebanks will probably declare for the NBA, WVU will be middle of the Big East pack next year.
3 of the top four scorers and rebounders are sophomores. Those are Huggins recruits.

Look at Pitt even. They lost everyone from last year and didn't miss a beat.

Oh and Mazzula only avg about 14 min. a game. And Wellington Smith's pts and rebounds are less than Rashad Bishop. Not exactly a big time recruit for Belien. Nice try Ralphy.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
ucgrad94

ucgrad94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. Mazzulla doesn't even play, plus he has 1 more year of eligibility left and the team is led by mostly sophmores, all of whom Huggins recruited. WVU is not good because of what Belien did. I don't understand why people can't give Huggins credit for what he has done, not only at WVU, but Kansas State and UC. He is a winner that built UC, he built Kansas State in just 1 year. But lets focus on UC and not worry about anybody else. An NIT Championship would be a great step forward for us.
ucgrad94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucgrad94 View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. Mazzulla doesn't even play, plus he has 1 more year of eligibility left and the team is led by mostly sophmores, all of whom Huggins recruited. WVU is not good because of what Belien did. I don't understand why people can't give Huggins credit for what he has done, not only at WVU, but Kansas State and UC. He is a winner that built UC, he built Kansas State in just 1 year. But lets focus on UC and not worry about anybody else. An NIT Championship would be a great step forward for us.
Without Butler winning 6 games they would be 21-13.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
One, thats not the case so its irrelevant.
Two, 21-13 is still better than our record.
Three, stop posting dumb comments based on your dislike for Bob Huggins, they are not logical or reasonable in any way.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
ready2go
Elite Member

Quote:
And without Butler that means Huggins gets one more recruit. Who is to say that guy wouldn't be better than what he has now? Speak factualy Ralph, not out of frustration.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2go View Post
And without Butler that means Huggins gets one more recruit. Who is to say that guy wouldn't be better than what he has now? Speak factualy Ralph, not out of frustration.
Without Huggins throwing up on himself and embarressing the university we would be 25-6 with a Big East Championship.

Sorry. This is old. I am rooting for Huggs to do well but im sorry you can't argue he dug his own grave.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
ready2go
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
Without Huggins throwing up on himself and embarressing the university we would be 25-6 with a Big East Championship.

Sorry. This is old. I am rooting for Huggs to do well but im sorry you can't argue he dug his own grave.
I'm certain that is not the argument here. We are all over the Huggins cituation. But to say that he didn't make WVU who they are, is false.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post

Your turning into Ralphy, a Huggins bashing blowhard... weak.