Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #71
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
We complained. We rejoiced. We complained. We questioned. We lamented. We rejoiced. We won the damn thing.

Hats off to the team and coaches. Hell of a program. Continuity. That's what we have. It isn't always pretty or enjoyable...but at the end of the day its consistent.

I'll stand with that 100% of the time.
1 game away from sharing the conference title and we won the tourney. For this squad I think that is an A+!! I would like to win 1 game in the dance but asking for 2 is probably a bit much...but I am going to ask anyway...haha.

Gotta say Brooks and Scott have been looking a lot more comfortable when they get the ball in their hands away from the basket. Early in the season they could not back a guy down with back to the basket and if they put the ball on the ground it was a turnover about 50% of the time. They slowed it down a little and the results are much better. I keep asking myself why we are giving them the ball 15 feet from from the rim but lately they are doing some decent things with it.

Great to see Broome coming up big again. It was only 17 games ago that he scored 15+. In the tourney he was 6 for 11 from three! Man do we need that extra shooter. When Moore opted out of the most wide open 3 he will ever get against WSU I think that put his confidence back to where he started the year. We are going to need Broome to make a few.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #72
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Great momentum going into the tourney. Jarron looked super human and his mojo is back. He wanted that game and wasn't going to let UC lose. Now the question is what happens when some of those shots don't fall in the tourney? Doe he pack it in and get lazy and pout like he has at times on poor shooting nights? Either way I hope he keeps the hot hand for the next however many games we have left. Love the way Cane stepped up, he is such a good kid with a very unique story and as well all know has struggled at times this year.

After sleeping on it I am ok with this seed line. We get a Iowa team who has lost the last 5 of 6 games including a terrible loss to a horrible Rutgers team. Not to mention this is essentially a home game for UC ( yes I will be attending) and then we get a shot at Tennessee team who on paper is a much superior team but a far cry from being unbeatable. But as we all know one game at a time and have to beat Iowa first.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #73
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Great momentum going into the tourney. Jarron looked super human and his mojo is back. He wanted that game and wasn't going to let UC lose. Now the question is what happens when some of those shots don't fall in the tourney? Doe he pack it in and get lazy and pout like he has at times on poor shooting nights? Either way I hope he keeps the hot hand for the next however many games we have left. Love the way Cane stepped up, he is such a good kid with a very unique story and as well all know has struggled at times this year.

After sleeping on it I am ok with this seed line. We get a Iowa team who has lost the last 5 of 6 games including a terrible loss to a horrible Rutgers team. Not to mention this is essentially a home game for UC ( yes I will be attending) and then we get a shot at Tennessee team who on paper is a much superior team but a far cry from being unbeatable. But as we all know one game at a time and have to beat Iowa first.
His desire is back in full effect. I was watching the cameras pan over to him when he was sitting on the bench (think it was WSU) and he was over their standing up and clapping and looked like our biggest cheer leader on the bench. I also saw him coaching both on the floor and from the bench a lot. In one game (from the bench) I saw him reminding Trevon to get his FT shot up in the air with some loft etc. He's really doing it all out there right now and that is exactly what we need. The team feeds off of him and looks to him for congrats when they make a big play.

It's been fun to watch as Jarron was not always the most vocal guy and at times in his career seemed the opposite of that. His overall impact is SO far from just being a point getter right now. Assists, coaching, rebounds, points, putting a body on a big on D, blocking out, etc etc. We even seem to be huddling up more on the court at crucial times to have team discussions and pep talks than we have in the past and Jarron seems to be leading those as well.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #74
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I was just thinking...if I recall...Williams had 2 break away dunk opportunities recently. He didn't really have his steps right and both of them ended in what I would call underwhelming kind of double clutch two hand flushes.

I was really hoping for a huge Tomahawk throw down or even possibly a 360 or reverse of some sort (if Cronin allows that stuff). This may seem super picky but that kid has had some of the best dunks of the Cronin era and he won't get better opportunities than those. Could have been ESPN Top 10 highlight reel dunks but ended up going the safe route.

I am not sure what to think of it because Williams seems to really like throwing it down (at least early in season)...but his confidence lately has been shaken and I don't know if that is why he chose the pedestrian style dunks. I would almost rather see him miss a highlight reel dunk than go safe provided the game is not in question.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #75
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I was just thinking...if I recall...Williams had 2 break away dunk opportunities recently. He didn't really have his steps right and both of them ended in what I would call underwhelming kind of double clutch two hand flushes.

I was really hoping for a huge Tomahawk throw down or even possibly a 360 or reverse of some sort (if Cronin allows that stuff). This may seem super picky but that kid has had some of the best dunks of the Cronin era and he won't get better opportunities than those. Could have been ESPN Top 10 highlight reel dunks but ended up going the safe route.

I am not sure what to think of it because Williams seems to really like throwing it down (at least early in season)...but his confidence lately has been shaken and I don't know if that is why he chose the pedestrian style dunks. I would almost rather see him miss a highlight reel dunk than go safe provided the game is not in question.
Understand what you are saying but I disagree. Williams is struggling. Take the easy dunk and see if it helps. IF he missed a dunk...I shudder to think at where his confidence level would be.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #76
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I see him miss tomahawk Jams in warm ups every single warmup before games.

And thats with no pressure.

He did the Jacob Evans dunk and i think its fine. Its 2 points. Thats all that matters.

Keith is feeling the grind of a long season and a lot of minutes. This few day break will be great for him and Jarron.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #77
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I see him miss tomahawk Jams in warm ups every single warmup before games.

And thats with no pressure.

He did the Jacob Evans dunk and i think its fine. Its 2 points. Thats all that matters.

Keith is feeling the grind of a long season and a lot of minutes. This few day break will be great for him and Jarron.
I am okay with the safe dunk...I just like when the crowd can get into a real hammer dunk. In games I haven't seen him miss too many opportunities.

As for his minutes...he is at 66% of minutes played vs a guy like Jarron or Trevon who have played 83% and 78%. Keith should not be tired. He hasn't played more than 27 minutes in the last 5 games. He does look tired a lot though (jogging back etc) so I am not sure why his endurance would be low...but he should be able to go full throttle at 66%.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #78
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am okay with the safe dunk...I just like when the crowd can get into a real hammer dunk. In games I haven't seen him miss too many opportunities.

As for his minutes...he is at 66% of minutes played vs a guy like Jarron or Trevon who have played 83% and 78%. Keith should not be tired. He hasn't played more than 27 minutes in the last 5 games. He does look tired a lot though (jogging back etc) so I am not sure why his endurance would be low...but he should be able to go full throttle at 66%.

That’s easy for us to say. But Keith played very little last season. It’s absolutely normal for a guy who’s never traveled this much and played that hard on both sides of the balll and not feel fatigue.

Trevon is a 4 year JR, jarron has been logging major minutes for 3 seasons.

Regardless. Keith is not afraid of the big moment. He will make plays this week.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #79
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
That’s easy for us to say. But Keith played very little last season. It’s absolutely normal for a guy who’s never traveled this much and played that hard on both sides of the balll and not feel fatigue.

Trevon is a 4 year JR, jarron has been logging major minutes for 3 seasons.

Regardless. Keith is not afraid of the big moment. He will make plays this week.
I get what you are saying but Scott averaged 12.5 mpg last year and Keith was at 10 mpg. They are both playing a much bigger role but Trevon has logged a lot more minutes. I don't really care how many minutes they play...they can come out for a breather when tired as long as they are giving it 100 when they are on the court. If Keith is jogging back we have to get him out until he can catch his breath and start sprinting again.

He gets plenty of rest (all things considered) on offense with Cumberland shouldering the lion's share of play making and running off screens etc. I have seen Cumberland jog back a few times as well but at least he has an excuse. He's working on damn near every play. It only takes 2 minutes on the bench to catch a breath and you have timeouts and play stops for fouls etc.