Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #361
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
So remind me, we were going to try to red shirt him right? Was it approved?
I would assume so. Haven't heard otherwise and he fit the requirement.

I hope it doesn't take until Diarra's SR year before we get a lot out of him. But if we try to force him to be what he isn't, that's probably how it will go. He doesn't seem like he'll ever be able to fit into a highly structured game at this level. He will need the freedom to play through some stuff. And if he isn't allowed to do that, we shouldn't have recruited him. Especially considering we took him before Bragg was committed anywhere.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #362
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Diarra has the greatest chance to produce absolutely nothing out of that class. He was so raw and so far behind. His ceiling might be the highest but I think he's got much too far to go to give us anything this year. I'm just hoping by his sr year he'll be playable.
I'm not sure how many skills he has other than being able to shoot a decent 3 for a big man and he looks to be a very good shot blocker. He has to develop something else. I'm not sure he can guard a 5 and he can't guard as many positions as Scott. His only offensive skill is a nice shooting touch. He will have a lot to work on. He will have to buy into a role first and that role is not Quadri 2.0. Does he have the work ethic and discipline to play Cronin ball or would he rather score and not play team ball?

This season will tell it all IMO. I hope he "gets it"...he really doesn't have many options other than buying in or transfer.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #363
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I would assume so. Haven't heard otherwise and he fit the requirement.

I hope it doesn't take until Diarra's SR year before we get a lot out of him. But if we try to force him to be what he isn't, that's probably how it will go. He doesn't seem like he'll ever be able to fit into a highly structured game at this level. He will need the freedom to play through some stuff. And if he isn't allowed to do that, we shouldn't have recruited him. Especially considering we took him before Bragg was committed anywhere.

theres always the issue of what the player wants to be, what the coach wants him to be, and what his handlers tell him he could be. its gotta be so tough for these guys to get pulled in all different directions.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #364
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Anyone else think that next years team could be very similar to SK’s Senior year?

Only this team has more depth and overall talent.

If jarron plays like SK did, I think will be pretty damn good.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #365
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Anyone else think that next years team could be very similar to SK’s Senior year?

Only this team has more depth and overall talent.

If jarron plays like SK did, I think will be pretty damn good.
i think thats a long shot. SK was an all american. i'd take both post players on that roster over any on this team. inside scoring is what is going to truly hold this team back i fear.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #366
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i think thats a long shot. SK was an all american. i'd take both post players on that roster over any on this team. inside scoring is what is going to truly hold this team back i fear.
Lol you are remembering the same roster I am right ?

Rubles averaged 7 a game and Jackson 11.

Shaq Thomas was our 4th leading scorer.

That was a very shitty roster.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #367
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I love SK but he was the only good player offensively on that team.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #368
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lol you are remembering the same roster I am right ?

Rubles averaged 7 a game and Jackson 11.

Shaq Thomas was our 4th leading scorer.

That was a very shitty roster.

realistically who is going to outscore either of them in the post this year? its been a long time since we didn't have anybody that could play inside, but it seems some have forgotten how difficult it is.

can you give me more than 2 guys on this roster you feel comfortable with as primary scorers? do you think moore can be counted on to give us more than jermaine sanders did in 2014 (122.7 ORtg 10.3 TORate 37.6% from 3). If moore can give us that I'd consider it a great year for him. who else is going to give us offense?
Old 05-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #369
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I love SK but he was the only good player offensively on that team.
but he was exceptionally good. and JJ wasn't bad on offense his sr year. if we had a player close to JJ on this roster, I'd feel much better.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #370
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
SK averaged 20.6 PPG
Last year Cumberland was 11.5

That''s not a small difference. Obviously different situations and roster makeups. But that's a big gap for Cumberland just to get even with by this year.

And as for the rest of the team next year, no player has ever averaged 8 ppg at UC. So to knock the supporting cast of SK's team and act like we have so much more now...yeah maybe on paper it looks like it could be that way. But no one has proven it. We *hope* Broome can score more this year. Do we know it'll be more than what Jackson scored? And then what? Fredericks who hasn't played a single game yet? Will he be as valuable as SR year Rubles? Do we know that? Wasn't Rubles like the #2 JUCO player? I like Scott more than most but I'm not sure he's really a 10 ppg guy.

The thing is, when you have a guy scoring 20 ppg, and you play a style that is made to limit possessions, you can't really expect many other guys to have eye popping numbers. So if we think Cumberland can make that leap, there just isn't much left after a couple other guys to score in double figures. You can't be 330th in pace and have a bunch of guys scoring unless you shoot a ridiculous percentage.

Plus, that SK SR year team lost to 12 seed Harvard in the 1st round. I won't be excited if this year's team resembles that one from that standpoint, or a style of play standpoint. But like I've said before, Cumberland conserving energy throughout the season is a perfect excuse for Mick to be the rockfight coach we all know he wants to be.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote