Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-02-2018, 06:30 AM   #101
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Had 17 turn overs,were out rebound and our leading Scorer has 3 points.SMH!! If i told you that would be part of our stat line and we still won on the road how many would have believed me?

Cane was 7-12 from the floor but was a bit loose with the ball but his offense was big.

Williams was the man tonight. Kid is becoming what we all hoped he would. A difference maker.

Jennifer and Brooks were both keys. Who without them it's a loss.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #102
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
The truly concerning thing for me about yesterday was Tre Scott. 31 minutes 5 points on 6 shots 2 rebounds and 3 turnovers.

The worry coming into this season was how Brooks and Scott would hold up against better bigs. I didn't expect Brooks to do the better job.

Scott is only shooting 34.6% on 2 pointers that aren't at the rim. People thought his mid range game would be key, but he really doesn't have one (only shot 38.7% on those shots last year). He's also really bad when he tries to put the ball on the floor. His 19.2% turnover rate is the worst among the 6 players playing at least 50% of the minutes.

Brooks on the other hand has been better than i thought he'd be, but those 2 can't combine for 0 offensive rebounds in any game like they did yesterday, and they only had 6 total rebounds.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #103
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
The truly concerning thing for me about yesterday was Tre Scott. 31 minutes 5 points on 6 shots 2 rebounds and 3 turnovers.

The worry coming into this season was how Brooks and Scott would hold up against better bigs. I didn't expect Brooks to do the better job.

Scott is only shooting 34.6% on 2 pointers that aren't at the rim. People thought his mid range game would be key, but he really doesn't have one (only shot 38.7% on those shots last year). He's also really bad when he tries to put the ball on the floor. His 19.2% turnover rate is the worst among the 6 players playing at least 50% of the minutes.

Brooks on the other hand has been better than i thought he'd be, but those 2 can't combine for 0 offensive rebounds in any game like they did yesterday, and they only had 6 total rebounds.
In a way I think this development could be more positive than negative. I think most of us had/have the least worry about Scott giving us solid minutes so Brooks looking as good if not better so far is a plus IMO.

Now if Scott struggles all year like this against better bigs...we could be in for some trouble. They have to focus less on scoring in these games and more on "mean face" stuff like rebounds and defense and going up strong around the rim. If they box out well and disrupt shots at the rim...and our wings get some boards that is fine with me too.

Hopefully Cane and Jarron can provide the offensive punch we need in most games and the rest of the guys do the dirty work and get points in the flow. Williams is getting blue collar points in every game. He's getting his points by focusing on steals and rebounds etc. Moore is gaining more confidence by doing those little things first as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #104
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
It will be interesting to see our next game match up with Scott and NKU 6"8 Cold Spring. KY Drew McDonald who flew under the radar and was in the same class as Scott. He did not redshirt is avg just under 20ppg. Been scoring all four years.

Last edited by AZ BEARCAT; 12-02-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #105
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Brooks can be effective when he can keep the ball high on offense. This obviously hinges alot on either uptempo or transition baskets or point guards ability to feed him high. He'll get beaten by bigger, stronger bigs but even Clark disappeared offensively in games where he was outsized. Scott had a bad game but overall I'm impressed with his progress this year. Certainly the two are contributing and I could easily argue combined are as effective as any two bigs we've had prior to Clark arriving on campus. Neither are back to the basket players and that will haunt us a couple of games but overall the situation definitely could be worse.

The refs were just God awful in the second half. UNLV came out more focused after halftime, but the refs definitely had a very tight whistle on us. They called some ticky tack contact that they simply didnt call on UNLV that led to some of our turnovers. It was a good test for us in a true road game and good lessons and wake up call before the next few tough games. You cant take anything for granted in this game and officiating is one of them. I'd rather have this lesson last night than next Saturday.

Really impressed by Keith last night. Still makes some dumb mistakes but overall hes making more big plays than bad ones and his offensive rebounding and toughness around the rim might have saved us yesterday. Cane played well. His offense is much needed, especially since Cumberland seems to be sleep walking. Liked to see Jenifer getting the ball in the lane more. Last year he was reluctant to do this. His assists are up this year and that's probably the main reason. Part of it could be with no Clark or Washington down low to create theres no other way to get the offense going without some dribble penetration. My main gripe on Jenifer has always been his assists needed to higher. And that last shot by him.... it was either a complete brain fart or honestly I think he was looking to throw the oop as they had a two on one break and were opposite the basket and the other player pulled up and I'm wondering if Justin had already committed to it picking up his dribble and last second had to just shoot it.

At the end of the day we got a road win against a solid opponent, we survived bad officiating and our best player not doing anything. I'll take it and move on. The first half was very impressive. Watch tape, clean some things up but I like what I'm seeing from the team thus far after that horrible Ohio State performance. This team is playing unselfish and are tenacious on D. I like that we're pressing as much as we are. With this crew I think you have to.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote