Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #1061
justinhub2003
Epic Member
 
justinhub2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5,559
justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
The real thing we need in the tournament is a little luck.

Xavier leads the City in Luck.

Last year Xavier was an 11 seed against a 6 seeded Maryland, yet Maryland was wildly overrated and had a kenpom ranking of 46 which is 20 spots worse than any other 6 seed. Xavier was an 11 seed and ranked 11 spots higher in KP than maryland

Then in 2015 they faced an ole miss team that they were ranked 20+ spots worse than them and they expectedly won. They then made the sweet 16 by beating...... Georgia State (#68). Luck was on their side and they got face a team who upset Baylor i think on a buzzer beater.

Then in 2012 they got lucky and was able to play... Lehigh instead of Duke.



Oh How would I love if UC would get to play 2 buy games to get into the sweet 16.

Luck is what we need

justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #1062
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member
 
WAITE HOYT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,404
WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
To be honest I will worry about the post season when selection Sunday comes along. I honestly feel we have the talent to compete with every team on our schedule. EVERY TEAM!!! That hasn't happened in awhile. Teams are pointing to us as a big game on their schedule.

Some things I think we need.

1 Teams do not win Championships without great PG play.

2. With our switch to a more up tempo offence it is imperative that the team understands that just scoring will not get it done. Great Teams Guard and Score!!!!

3. Stay healthy and get better as the season unfolds.
Would really like to see us build our production as the season unfolds. Want to head into the dance healthy confident and on a roll.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #1063
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member
 
WAITE HOYT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,404
WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
The real thing we need in the tournament is a little luck.

Xavier leads the City in Luck.

Last year Xavier was an 11 seed against a 6 seeded Maryland, yet Maryland was wildly overrated and had a kenpom ranking of 46 which is 20 spots worse than any other 6 seed. Xavier was an 11 seed and ranked 11 spots higher in KP than maryland

Then in 2015 they faced an ole miss team that they were ranked 20+ spots worse than them and they expectedly won. They then made the sweet 16 by beating...... Georgia State (#68). Luck was on their side and they got face a team who upset Baylor i think on a buzzer beater.

Then in 2012 they got lucky and was able to play... Lehigh instead of Duke.



Oh How would I love if UC would get to play 2 buy games to get into the sweet 16.

Luck is what we need
I understand what your saying but this team has the talent to beat every team on the schedule and maybe in the country. We have the talent to make us bullet proof from the committee. I want others worrying about seeing us in the dance. This isn't a Cinderella team. It has talent at every position and a bench that is also deep. If the selection process under seeds us so a higher seeded team must face us in the second round that team is getting screwed not us. We are serious contenders this year and I hope the team understands that.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #1064
Jon Rycek
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,182
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
I don't feel that we got screwed last year on our seed, I think our seeding was appropriate. I'm also not saying that being in the AAC doesn't hurt us. When you start getting into the mid seeds I think the committee is going to give the higher seed to a team from a better conference, even if that team has a couple to a few more losses. None of us had a problem with our 11 or 13 loss teams going to the tourney when we were in the Big East.

My point here is that there is no "conspiracy" against us or our conference. If people want to go into the season feeling like the deck is stacked against us and we're destined for a 5 or 6 seed no matter what that's fine, but it's also ridiculous.

If this team, with this schedule, can find a way to only lose 2 or 3 games on the entire season then they're going to get a high seed. If we wind up losing 6, 7 or 8 games (which is feel is most likely) then we're probably going to be looking at a 4-6 seed depending on where everyone else finishes. In that scenario we will take a back seat to teams from higher ranked conferences and I'm fine with that, that's the way it should be. My point here is that if we win an exceptionally high amount of games against this schedule we will be a high seed. If we lose 3 games or less this season there's no doubt in my mind we're going to be a 1 or a 2 seed come March.
You are crazy if you think this team is gonna lose 6-8 times. You really think we are gonna go 2-7 in our big games? If so, what's the point about hyping the season at all. 8 losses... you're a pessimist in every sense of the world. We lost 4 last year, we did nothing but improve and you think we are gonna lose twice as many. Yeah our schedule is tougher but come on man.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #1065
Jon Rycek
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,182
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Whether there is a conspiracy or not there are a lot of ways to get screwed by the committee. You can get under seeded to start. If you are under seeded you are going to be playing a tougher first round and second round game than if you were seeded correctly. Those teams you do play can also be under seeded making matters worse. You can also get shipped out of your region so fans can't travel.

You can even have all three of these happen like last year. We got a 6 seed and played the 3rd ranked team in the country as a 3 seed in the second round. Shipped out west. The Year prior we played the #1 overall seeded team in the second round.

I really don't think we had much of a prayer of advancing in some of these years (if any) past the sweet 16. I don't expect the committee to make it easier on us. I'm not sure they go out of their way to make it harder. However, it does seem our road has been tougher than it should have been more years than not. In the past 6 years I think we got a decent seed and draw one time.

I agree it's time we play better than our seed but that is not the point IMO.
Thank you.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #1066
Jon Rycek
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,182
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
The real thing we need in the tournament is a little luck.

Xavier leads the City in Luck.

Last year Xavier was an 11 seed against a 6 seeded Maryland, yet Maryland was wildly overrated and had a kenpom ranking of 46 which is 20 spots worse than any other 6 seed. Xavier was an 11 seed and ranked 11 spots higher in KP than maryland

Then in 2015 they faced an ole miss team that they were ranked 20+ spots worse than them and they expectedly won. They then made the sweet 16 by beating...... Georgia State (#68). Luck was on their side and they got face a team who upset Baylor i think on a buzzer beater.

Then in 2012 they got lucky and was able to play... Lehigh instead of Duke.



Oh How would I love if UC would get to play 2 buy games to get into the sweet 16.

Luck is what we need
Yes, these are the points I'm trying to make. I'm not excusing our losses as "conspiracy." But Xavier has had multiple cakewalks to the sweet 16, we end up have to play a top 5 team to get there every year it seems. Yeah we blew a couple first round games but that happens. We've had tough draws simple as that.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #1067
Jon Rycek
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,182
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I understand what your saying but this team has the talent to beat every team on the schedule and maybe in the country. We have the talent to make us bullet proof from the committee. I want others worrying about seeing us in the dance. This isn't a Cinderella team. It has talent at every position and a bench that is also deep. If the selection process under seeds us so a higher seeded team must face us in the second round that team is getting screwed not us. We are serious contenders this year and I hope the team understands that.
This year I agree with you, an under seeding for us just means trouble for the other guy. However that's not how's it been on the past. All I know is this team better make a deep run, idc who we play this year, we are too good and it shouldn't matter.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #1068
UCBearcats
Banned
 
UCBearcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,723
UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
You are crazy if you think this team is gonna lose 6-8 times. You really think we are gonna go 2-7 in our big games? If so, what's the point about hyping the season at all. 8 losses... you're a pessimist in every sense of the world. We lost 4 last year, we did nothing but improve and you think we are gonna lose twice as many. Yeah our schedule is tougher but come on man.
Relax guy, I'm actually on record as saying we'll lose 5-7 games.......just used 6 to 8 for that seeding example.

I think a prediction of 5-8 losses is very reasonable. Hopefully we don't lose any games. And as your post on the prediction thread said, most people are going with predictions in the 5-7 loss range so I guess we're all just pessimists.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #1069
HExus
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
HExus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
To be honest I will worry about the post season when selection Sunday comes along. I honestly feel we have the talent to compete with every team on our schedule. EVERY TEAM!!! That hasn't happened in awhile. Teams are pointing to us as a big game on their schedule.

Some things I think we need.

1 Teams do not win Championships without great PG play.

2. With our switch to a more up tempo offence it is imperative that the team understands that just scoring will not get it done. Great Teams Guard and Score!!!!

3. Stay healthy and get better as the season unfolds.
Would really like to see us build our production as the season unfolds. Want to head into the dance healthy confident and on a roll.
This 100%....

So tired of promising seasons being destroyed by injury. We have had some of the worst luck around here with that.....

I want to see this season play out, and what ever happens happens, I can live with that.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #1070
HExus
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
HExus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Relax guy, I'm actually on record as saying we'll lose 5-7 games.......just used 6 to 8 for that seeding example.

I think a prediction of 5-8 losses is very reasonable. Hopefully we don't lose any games. And as your post on the prediction thread said, most people are going with predictions in the 5-7 loss range so I guess we're all just pessimists.
I think 8 is way too much....

5 maybe....

I think we lose to both X, and Florida. Beat UCLA on that December gauntlet.

Split with WSU, and loss one other game to a UCF type team in conference.

Ill say 4 losses.

2-5 losses is a more reasonable range. 2 being on the lighter end, and 5 being towards a max.

Just my 2 cents.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.