Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
The Future of UC

What is being done behind the scenes to get UC into a Power 5 Conference? Or are people just sitting around waiting, not knowing what to do? Everybody and his brother knows this is paramount to everything!
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
What is being done behind the scenes to get UC into a Power 5 Conference? Or are people just sitting around waiting, not knowing what to do? Everybody and his brother knows this is paramount to everything!
I think they've done everything in their control--Major facilties upgrades in BB & FB, got rid of TT and brought in an AD with B12 ties (only P5 conference that reasonably might take UC). But UC can't force the B12 to expand. I'd say it's very likely UC is forever shut out of P5.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We tried to hire Tubberville but it backfired.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
XgradforUC

XgradforUC is on a distinguished road
What would you have UC do, that they haven’t already done? I haven’t read anything about any of the conferences wanting to expand. Nor have I heard anything about the AAC wanting to disband. Perhaps when, or more correctly IF, the power 5 decide to breakaway from the NCAA and form their own organization they MIGHT decide to ask UC to go along with them. But right now, wouldn’t it be more likely for one or both of the Florida schools to be considered ahead of them? Any movement is going to be football motivated and right now UC is still paying for the failure of Tubberville.
XgradforUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Cincinnati was as proactive as any school to get into a better conference, even while still in the Big East. Bottom line is we don't have the fan base, major donors, TV market and more importantly the $$$ those things brings to enhance any conference's profile. It really is that simple. I don't understand why people think we somehow dropped the ball. Rutgers got added to the Big Ten. RUTGERS.... on field success and asking the right way had nothing to do with who got invited and who didn't.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...endations-ncaa

Thought this was of interest. NCAA calling for end to the one and done rule.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Cincinnati was as proactive as any school to get into a better conference, even while still in the Big East. Bottom line is we don't have the fan base, major donors, TV market and more importantly the $$$ those things brings to enhance any conference's profile. It really is that simple. I don't understand why people think we somehow dropped the ball. Rutgers got added to the Big Ten. RUTGERS.... on field success and asking the right way had nothing to do with who got invited and who didn't.
I agree, that UC worked to get into a better conference. I disagree that we don't have the fan base possibilities, major donor possibilities, TV market etc. We, meaning Cincinnati, has 2 going on 3 major league franchises. I do believe that there are some major businesses within the Cincinnati area that I believe could step up to enhance the overall image of UC, whether that is the number of sports offered, facilities to house these additional sports, etc
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I agree, that UC worked to get into a better conference. I disagree that we don't have the fan base possibilities, major donor possibilities, TV market etc. We, meaning Cincinnati, has 2 going on 3 major league franchises. I do believe that there are some major businesses within the Cincinnati area that I believe could step up to enhance the overall image of UC, whether that is the number of sports offered, facilities to house these additional sports, etc
Well, "possibilities" isn't dollars in the bank.... Bottom line is we don't have these donors in place. The major league franchises in the city actually draw against our fan base rather than enhance it, especially for football which is the only thing that matters in conference alignment. Also, our fan base is somewhat of an island because we only get a regional draw, not a statewide draw. Our market size isn't horrible, but it already sits in the Big Ten and SEC markets. I will say it could've in theory brought a new market to a Big 12 network and maybe even ACC at the time they were expanding, but both of those were somewhat controlled by ESPN and thus the Cincinnati market means nothing to them. I do agree we should have some bigger donors with all the money in this town and big corporations, but we dont. Number of donors and total donations given were big, big factors in conferences decisions on who to add and we were seriously lacking.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #9
HExus

HExus is on a distinguished road
I know this is a lot late, but im bored and thought id put my 2 cents in....

UC has done everything in its power to get into a power 5 conference.

Fact is, the game is over until 2023-2025.

Both the SEC and ACC have long term TV grant of rights deals going into the 2030's, but the other 3 conferences have deals that end in 23 - 25.

I believe Pac-12 in 23, Big 10 in 23, and Big 12 in 25. I might be off here, but its something like that.

Now lets be real, the Big 10 isn't going to fold or get eaten. They will either sign a new deal early, or be one of the first teams to snap up some more power programs in the next set of realignment.

That leaves the other 2 conferences on the chopping block come 23-25.

What I think we see is the end of the Big 12. I think the writing is on the wall. Its been made pretty clear that Texas and Oklahoma want to suck up as much of the current tv deal money as they can before jumping ship to greener pastures, hence why expansion hasn't been a serious issue over there. There is no intention on the part of the power players in the big 12, of saving the conference. I say that partly from my throne of salt, for the whole "UC shut out" ordeal. yeah im salty, and bias, but I think what im saying is a solid prediction.

Its been made clear that ESPN and the powers that be want a 4 super conference format and they won't be stopped.

TV deals and the networks that supply them are shaping the future.

I think you will see the other 4 conferences pick apart the big 12, and probably the top schools from the group of 5.

This will be UC's chance in if they are gonna make it.

Even if its not the Big 12, its pretty clear that the next set of realignment is going to pop off between 23-25.

We just have to hope that we either hop over some power 5 bottom feeders, or get included through raids of the top group of 5 schools.

Thats pretty much bottom line. We just need to do the best we can for the next 5-7 years and hope we finally get the call.

Last edited by HExus; 07-24-2018 at 12:10 AM.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HExus View Post
I know this is a lot late, but im bored and thought id put my 2 cents in....

UC has done everything in its power to get into a power 5 conference.

Fact is, the game is over until 2023-2025.

Both the SEC and ACC have long term TV grant of rights deals going into the 2030's, but the other 3 conferences have deals that end in 23 - 25.

I believe Pac-12 in 23, Big 10 in 23, and Big 12 in 25. I might be off here, but its something like that.

Now lets be real, the Big 10 isn't going to fold or get eaten. They will either sign a new deal early, or be one of the first teams to snap up some more power programs in the next set of realignment.

That leaves the other 2 conferences on the chopping block come 23-25.

What I think we see is the end of the Big 12. I think the writing is on the wall. Its been made pretty clear that Texas and Oklahoma want to suck up as much of the current tv deal money as they can before jumping ship to greener pastures, hence why expansion hasn't been a serious issue over there. There is no intention on the part of the power players in the big 12, of saving the conference. I say that partly from my throne of salt, for the whole "UC shut out" ordeal. yeah im salty, and bias, but I think what im saying is a solid prediction.

Its been made clear that ESPN and the powers that be want a 4 super conference format and they won't be stopped.

TV deals and the networks that supply them are shaping the future.

I think you will see the other 4 conferences pick apart the big 12, and probably the top schools from the group of 5.

This will be UC's chance in if they are gonna make it.

Even if its not the Big 12, its pretty clear that the next set of realignment is going to pop off between 23-25.

We just have to hope that we either hop over some power 5 bottom feeders, or get included through raids of the top group of 5 schools.

Thats pretty much bottom line. We just need to do the best we can for the next 5-7 years and hope we finally get the call.
I'm not so sure that Congress/The FBI/The Justice Department isn't going to blow up college athletics in the next 10 years.
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote