Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-02-2021, 12:42 PM   #211
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Lahkin looks jacked up already. I’ll like see combo of Davenport, lahkin and koval
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #212
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Man, Looking back at all that has transpired over the course of the last 3 years, its easy to see that the John Brannen era was a necessary evil to unite the fan base and right the ship.

Replacing a winning coach like Mick Cronin was always going to be a hard sell for a Lot of fans (Myself included), just like Mick Replacing Huggins was for the fanbase as well. But John brannen, he never really sold himself to the fan base and while he had the majority of the support, he lost more and more fans as his tenure progressed. After the info came out about him, and him hiring a sleaze ball lawyer who tried to drag Fick into muck with him, I think it was clear he lost the fans.

Couple that with Mick having success at UCLA, which I think helped heal more wounds as it made it look less like Mick was forced out and more like Mick needed to leave Cincinnati to reach his potential and I think we can all can respect that.

Then usher in Wes Miller who has now united the fan base, while Also bridging the gaps of UC's past with bringing in former players from both the Huggins Era and the Cronin Era. The fact that Mick Cronin has become one of his mentors and that he plans on meeting Huggins in West Virginia sometime soon. Wes Miller has been the perfect solution to the problem that John brannen (and Partially Mike Bohn) created.

Very rarely do you see a coach with so little ego and isn't too big to be coached and mentored by his new teams former coaches.

I have no idea how many games we are going to win next year. But I do know that UC's basketball future maybe as bright as its ever been. A new Arena, a new hungry coach, a top notch staff with former players from both eras, a United fanbase, a once depleted roster that is now restocked, a wide casted recruiting net full of high level players & a coach with an identity in mind from day one.

John Cunningham killed it through out this process.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #213
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Man, Looking back at all that has transpired over the course of the last 3 years, its easy to see that the John Brannen era was a necessary evil to unite the fan base and right the ship.

Replacing a winning coach like Mick Cronin was always going to be a hard sell for a Lot of fans (Myself included), just like Mick Replacing Huggins was for the fanbase as well. But John brannen, he never really sold himself to the fan base and while he had the majority of the support, he lost more and more fans as his tenure progressed. After the info came out about him, and him hiring a sleaze ball lawyer who tried to drag Fick into muck with him, I think it was clear he lost the fans.

Couple that with Mick having success at UCLA, which I think helped heal more wounds as it made it look less like Mick was forced out and more like Mick needed to leave Cincinnati to reach his potential and I think we can all can respect that.

Then usher in Wes Miller who has now united the fan base, while Also bridging the gaps of UC's past with bringing in former players from both the Huggins Era and the Cronin Era. The fact that Mick Cronin has become one of his mentors and that he plans on meeting Huggins in West Virginia sometime soon. Wes Miller has been the perfect solution to the problem that John brannen (and Partially Mike Bohn) created.

Very rarely do you see a coach with so little ego and isn't too big to be coached and mentored by his new teams former coaches.

I have no idea how many games we are going to win next year. But I do know that UC's basketball future maybe as bright as its ever been. A new Arena, a new hungry coach, a top notch staff with former players from both eras, a United fanbase, a once depleted roster that is now restocked, a wide casted recruiting net full of high level players & a coach with an identity in mind from day one.

John Cunningham killed it through out this process.
I'm definitely starting to feel a sense of "wholeness" within the program/fanbase again.

Seeing KMart shout out Miller and Demarr on Twitter the other day was awesome.

"This is awesome. S\O to Wes for being a man of his word and giving
@dermarrj an interview. Nothing was promised I guess DJ did his thing on that interview. @gobearcats going to be relevant again.
"

My only concern is that the honeymoon period may end fast with a chunk of the fanbase if we're not significantly more competitive next season.

As of now, the group we've assembled for next year looks like a "high floor/low ceiling" bunch.

I know a lot can change with our roster and the landscape of the AAC over the next 5 months but at the moment we're looking like a 3rd-5th place team in the league.

What type of momentum will we have for 22/23 if we don't even make the NIT in 21/22?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #214
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
I'm definitely starting to feel a sense of "wholeness" within the program/fanbase again.

@dermarrj an interview. Nothing was promised I guess DJ did his thing on that interview. @gobearcats going to be relevant again.
"

My only concern is that the honeymoon period may end fast with a chunk of the fanbase if we're not significantly more competitive next season.

As of now, the group we've assembled for next year looks like a "high floor/low ceiling" bunch.

I know a lot can change with our roster and the landscape of the AAC over the next 5 months but at the moment we're looking like a 3rd-5th place team in the league.

What type of momentum will we have for 22/23 if we don't even make the NIT in 21/22?

I have zero expectations next season other than establishing identity.

It’s all about future recruiting for me
Old 06-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #215
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

"

I'll start with the question marks since there are fewer of them than things we can check off.

How will Miller do with X's and O's and game plan in new conference?
Lack of bucket getters to to help with scoring droughts.

But...

A hungry and tireless new coach
A stabilized roster with decent depth and quality
A better assistant and support staff
Former players from multiple eras on the staff
Former players getting on board with new coach
Return of Monster Factory
Publicity and marketing efforts seem to be better already
A generous coach giving time for better fan engagement
Players with better, tougher, winning attitudes. Seem happier
UC toughness culture to return
Not afraid to go after higher profile talented recruits
A fan base that is less divided right now

I probably missed a few but...
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #216
TheRealMick
Elite Member

He’s all in on establishing State of Cincinnati for UC basketball. Doing what should’ve been done 15yrs ago. Even if we fail, go after all local talent and if you miss then expand your radius. Need find way to get big from Dayton, wing from moeller and either jones(Columbus) or McMillan at PG. we can have starting five of top 100 local kids in next 2-3 yrs
Old 06-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #217
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Wes #1 recruiting pitch is if you follow directions EVERYBODY on scholarship going to play every game. I doubt any other high major school offers that
Old 06-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #218
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'll start with the question marks since there are fewer of them than things we can check off.

How will Miller do with X's and O's and game plan in new conference?
Lack of bucket getters to to help with scoring droughts.

But...

A hungry and tireless new coach
A stabilized roster with decent depth and quality
A better assistant and support staff
Former players from multiple eras on the staff
Former players getting on board with new coach
Return of Monster Factory
Publicity and marketing efforts seem to be better already
A generous coach giving time for better fan engagement
Players with better, tougher, winning attitudes. Seem happier
UC toughness culture to return
Not afraid to go after higher profile talented recruits
A fan base that is less divided right now

I probably missed a few but...
Honestly our last coach was an “x’s and O’s” type coach and I didn’t walk away feeling impressed with his basketball IQ. I think in this league, it’s so much more about effort, strength, rebounding and defense than it is about about playing calling.

Brannen was 1-3 vs Houston with our losses being by 38,37 and 13. I think to beat Houston you have to match their intensity defensively, match their effort on the boards and then just hope to have a few iso playmakers to just straight up beat them. Houston isn’t going to let you run a pretty offense.

Wes Miller’s defense identity should translate right away to this leagud and I think he gives his players the same offensive freedom that Sampson does on that end.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #219
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Get some good passers out of post and Houston toast.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:26 PM   #220
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Here's our updated OOC schedule (with 20-21 NET rankings) featuring the new addition of our road trip to Oxford.

11/9: vs Evansville (230)
11/13: vs Georgia (100)
11/16: vs Alabama A&M (325)
11/18: vs Presbyterian (315)
11/22: @ Illinois [KC MTE] (4)
11/23: @ Ark/Kan St [KC MTE] (14/176)
12/1: @ Miami(OH) (182)
12/11: @ Xavier (62)
12/14: vs Florida A&M (284)
12/21: vs Tenn Tech (316)
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote