Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Potential Grad Transfers

I just wanted to start a thread on some potential grad transfer possibilities for next season. I believe we will need a grad transfer 5 and maybe a point guard or a wing depending on if JB is done recruiting freshman for the 2020 class. If he is we will have 2 scholarships open, maybe more if anyone transfers or if Prince cant play. I am not a huge fan of the grad transfer route but we will need a big who can rebound and defend right away since we will be losing Scott and Vogt is not that kind of player and I don't expect Eason to come in and dominate in year one. Also the grad transfer list will grow once the season ends.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I agree that we probably need either a grad transfer or JUCO big man. Vogt does not look like he should be a starter, Eason may come in and be able to start, but I wouldn't count on it. Diarra I can see starting at either the 4 or 5 next year. Prince is the big unknown, if he can play he could be an immediate starter at the 4.

I'm not that fond of grad transfers and the grad transfers we added this year did not make me feel any better about them. But we definitely need to add more depth at the 4/5. I'm hoping for one more freshman and one JUCO/grad transfer, both bigs.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I agree that we probably need either a grad transfer or JUCO big man. Vogt does not look like he should be a starter, Eason may come in and be able to start, but I wouldn't count on it. Diarra I can see starting at either the 4 or 5 next year. Prince is the big unknown, if he can play he could be an immediate starter at the 4.

I'm not that fond of grad transfers and the grad transfers we added this year did not make me feel any better about them. But we definitely need to add more depth at the 4/5. I'm hoping for one more freshman and one JUCO/grad transfer, both bigs.
You’re hilarious. I still don’t understand the massive jump you think is there for Diarra but not for Vogt. Why couldn’t Vogt develop a shot, why can’t he get stronger or become a better passer. Out of all Diarra spastic actions what makes you think he has the mental toughness to make such a huge leap. But an elite post scorer has no ability to improve. Vogt is good for 20-25 a game, whether starting or from the bench.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
You’re hilarious. I still don’t understand the massive jump you think is there for Diarra but not for Vogt. Why couldn’t Vogt develop a shot, why can’t he get stronger or become a better passer. Out of all Diarra spastic actions what makes you think he has the mental toughness to make such a huge leap. But an elite post scorer has no ability to improve. Vogt is good for 20-25 a game, whether starting or from the bench.

Come on now....Vogt was a fresh surprise, but he is what he is. Vogt could have an awesome offseason but a 7 ft defensive liability will not cut it in todays AAC. A starter 7ft Tall and not averaging double figure rebounds, forget the scoring, is aliability.

Once the league adjusted to Vogt, he was and has been nuetralized as a post force. What has Vogt done to adjust to the changes....Coaches can put him in position, but he's the one who has to continue to make plays. Vogt is not strong enough yet to be a force.

Vogt has absolutely no lift, which as long as any opposing team has a more athletic big man, his shots arent going in, and may be blocked, and he is in dire need of a confidence boost.

We need Vogt to play like Iowa's Big Man, for Vogt to continue to see success.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Union Bearcat

Union Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
Come on now....Vogt was a fresh surprise, but he is what he is. Vogt could have an awesome offseason but a 7 ft defensive liability will not cut it in todays AAC. A starter 7ft Tall and not averaging double figure rebounds, forget the scoring, is aliability.

Once the league adjusted to Vogt, he was and has been nuetralized as a post force. What has Vogt done to adjust to the changes....Coaches can put him in position, but he's the one who has to continue to make plays. Vogt is not strong enough yet to be a force.

Vogt has absolutely no lift, which as long as any opposing team has a more athletic big man, his shots arent going in, and may be blocked, and he is in dire need of a confidence boost.

We need Vogt to play like Iowa's Big Man, for Vogt to continue to see success.
You went pretty far with this statement. Only 32 guys are averaging 10+ rebs
Union Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Bearcat View Post
its not even the craziest thing he said in that post
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Bearcat View Post
Vogt is averaging 6 rebounds in 29 minutes, in conference he is even worse, averaging 5.4, while playing 30 minutes per game. In conference that is an average of 7.2 rebounds/40 minutes.

I agree he shouldn't average 10 per game, but he definitely should average at least 8 (and preferably 9+) rebounds per 40. 7.2 rebounds/40 for a 7 foot guy is terrible.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #8
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Absolutely no question about it need someone who can rebound
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
My issue with the whole grad transfer thing is we are basically getting another mid major talent. We wont attract a high lever grad transfer like a Seth Towns or anyone like that and that's okay but my biggest concern is we end up with another Sorolla or McNeal, 2 guys who are lower level talent and expecting them to all of a sudden play at a higher level in there 5th year at UC. I get we need a big body and its just a crap shoot with what you can get because most 5th year guys are transferring and are expecting to play big minutes.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
My issue with the whole grad transfer thing is we are basically getting another mid major talent. We wont attract a high lever grad transfer like a Seth Towns or anyone like that and that's okay but my biggest concern is we end up with another Sorolla or McNeal, 2 guys who are lower level talent and expecting them to all of a sudden play at a higher level in there 5th year at UC. I get we need a big body and its just a crap shoot with what you can get because most 5th year guys are transferring and are expecting to play big minutes.
I’m not crazy about grad transfers ether but relying on freshman to play pf and center in major college b-ball games is tough, it takes time to adjust to the physical part of the game for sure.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote